Question about the dvr unit

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jpcapili, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jpcapili

jpcapili New Member

May 13, 2009
    California

Advertisements

Hello! I've just placed an order for a new premiere xl. My question is with regards to the dvr as an HD Receiver unit. (1) If I were to unsubscribe to the Tivo service, would I still be able to use the unit as my cable's HD-receiver using a cable card? (2) What is the life span of the unit as an HD-Receiver?

I'm debating whether this is a good investment. or opt for my cable's DVR, where I dont need to pay for the unit with a low monthly price.

Thanks!

2. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    You cannot use the TiVo, other than watching recorded TV, without a subscription.

Joe

3. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I thought I had read that even without a subscription the TiVo will tune and buffer live TV. Not so? Does having a cable card affect this?

4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Yes, you will still be able to watch, pause, etc live tv.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

That is one expensive cable box.
    If you're not going to subscribe to the TiVo Service, you should have just purchased a regular Premiere.
    Even that is a bit overkill. If you want to do any recording, you'll have to subscribe to the TiVo Service.
    If you don't want to subscribe to the TiVo Service, you're better off just getting the cable co's DVR. (IMO)