Question about recording long programs

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by k.Trout, May 9, 2006.

1. k.Trout

k.Trout New Member

Sep 14, 2004

Advertisements

When I recorded NFL games last fall the game would often go beyond the alotted time by 30 or 40 minutes. A game that was scheduled to be from 1:00-4:00 pm would often last until 4:30. When this happened I would need to record the 4:00 - 4:30 program in order to get the end of the game. This works but it leaves you with two separate programs for the one game and clutters the "now playing list". Is there a way to avoid this? Can you record continuously somehow and simply have one recording? Is there a way to merge the two separate recordings into one? It's a little annoying to have so many misnamed files in the "now playing list" and adds confusion to an already disorganized list.

Thanks for any help with this.

2. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Are you manually recording or using a season pass?

If the latter, just plan on the game going long and extend the recording in the to-do list by 30 minutes,
    or 45 minutes, or an hour even if you have no conflicts.

phox

3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    If you can be there for the recordings, just go into the preferences for the active recording and extend the time. You can extend more than once, too. For instance, the final quarter always runs about 45 minutes, and the two-minute warning means the game will usually end in 15 minutes. But this is difficult to do if you want to avoid knowing the score, of if you record in absence. In that case, just go in and extend the time for an hour.

4. k.Trout

k.Trout New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    You guys are great! I never knew that you could use the "change recording options" to extend the length of the recorded program. That's a huge help since I am usually watching the program as it is recording. I can just extend it for an hour and then choose "stop" recording once the game is over. Thanks too for the info about the season pass and setting it from that point. This is very helpful. Many thanks!