Question about program data

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by n9531l, Dec 13, 2011.

1. n9531l

n9531l New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Carmichael, CA
    TiVo newbie, just bought Premier box. To record streamed sports events from my laptop, I'm going from HDMI output to HDMI to A/V converter and using a VCR with A/V inputs as a modulator to get NTSC Channel 4 to feed the TiVo cable input. Only problem with this setup is that it's awkward to set up recordings because the TiVo wants to do it based on the program data it's saved for 4 cbl.

There are other scenarios where the signal on a given channel won't match the program data. So my question is, how can I get TiVo box to not save or use program data for a particular channel?

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You can't.
    What you can do is transfer the recordings to your computer and then remove the data.

3. n9531l

n9531l New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Carmichael, CA
    Not sure I understand this, but I haven't looked into computer interface. What I'm after is having the TiVo disregard program info when I'm setting up the recordings. I don't see how your suggestion would help with that. Maybe you can clarify.

Another question I have is how to increase the audio level (HDMI output) for a closer match to my other TV inputs.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you are using the HD menus:

From TiVo Central select Manage recordings & downloads->Record by time or channel->Set Up Manual Recording

If you are using the SD menus:

TiVo Central->Find Shows->Record by Time or Channel->Set Up Manual Recording

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Even with manual recording, the name of the recording will be based on what is in the guide for that channel at the time of the recording.

The only way (that I know of) to manually rename a recording is to transfer it to a computer and convert it to an Mpeg file and rename it in the process.

6. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Check the settings of your laptop or output device. If you can't adjust the audio output level of the device, there is not much more that you can do.

You can boost (or decrease) the audio db after the fact by transferring the Tivo recording to a computer and using a program such as VideoReDo to adjust the volume of the recording.

7. n9531l

n9531l New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks, this will give me what I need. I don't really care what the recording gets named, I just don't want it to stop when the TiVo thinks some program has ended.

I still have to be careful, because I have both antenna and cable inputs. I get the laptop on 4 cbl, and programming from a satellite receiver on 4 ant. But in Set Up Manual Recording, they don't show up as 4 ant and 4 cbl. Instead, 4 ant shows up as just a 4, and 4 cbl as a 4 with station call sign underneath. As long as I can remember which is which, I can set up the recording the way I want it.

8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    The system is not designed for this. It breaks the fundamental functioning of the DVR. Actually, I'm not sure why you want to do this in the first place.

That would violate THX specifications and prevent the unit from being THX certified. Obtain THX components to replace the other devices and it may alleviate the issue, although what audio levels are broadcast by the CATV systems and the broadcast studios are not under anyone's control but the specific system in question.

9. n9531l

n9531l New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Carmichael, CA
    Why I want to do it is for the situation I described, where the programming on a certain channel doesn't match the TiVo's program data for that channel.

Anyway, lpwcomp has provided a helpful answer so I'm set to go.

10. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    As steve614 has already stated, the suggestion made by lpwcomp regarding manual recordings, won't accomplish what you want.

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How will it not? His problem wasn't that what he wants to record will be mis-identified on the TiVo, he just wants to record something not based on the guide data. He doesn't care what the TiVo thinks it is. He just wants to record whatever is coming in on channel 4 for a certain amount of time, which is exactly what a manual recording will do.

12. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yep, once the OP clarified that he didn't care about what the recording would be named, the point I made became moot.

13. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Sorry. Nevermind. Nothing to see here. Move along.