Question about Premiere to SD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by akc, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jun 6, 2011 #1 of 10
    akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Hi -
    After much board reading, we went ahead and upgraded one of our Tivos (the "Mothership" we call her) to a Premiere XL and have been delighted. The only issue is that in our BR, we only have a regular 'ol SD television and thus a S2. (We have yet another S2 in the house - have had 7 tivos in our life!). So, the inability to transfer back and forth now is getting irritating. I'm not sure I'm really clear though on the options - so, my questions are:

1) If we upgrade to a premiere in the BR, I know we can set it to play in regular SD format, correct? And, using the SD menus, obviously?

2) Is every program then able to transfer to the Premiere and then be watched in SD or no? I am not clear if every program taped is available - or if I would have to explicitly tape in SD and HD, then can only transfer the SD program... that would defeat the purpose.

3) For memory use, if you are able to transfer a program that was taped in HD but watch in the other format, would there be more memory usage? I know the small Premiere holds plenty of SD programming but not if it's actually HD memory size.

4) On just the financials, I know that they monkeyed with pricing. We have the multi-room discount and want to keep it that way. Does that mean I must upgrade through Tivo or can I buy at Best Buy or wherever...

Thanks for your help!

Alexa

PS Also posted about trying to figure out a Pioneer Receiver with the Tivo and am still IN SHOCK that you cannot control two tivos with the GLO remote b/c they don't have the 1 / 2 switch. I can't ask my 6 year old to "cover, press tivo and pause at the same time, THEN the number" and hope for good results, but I don't want to give up the features of the new remote. ANNOYING, TIVO!:rolleyes:

2. Jun 6, 2011 #2 of 10
    DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    The Premiere can output SD regardless of the source. Only the actual output changes.

3. Jun 6, 2011 #3 of 10
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The Premiere will work for SD output just like the S3 did. Only the Premiere does not have an Svideo output. Only a composite video output.

My girlfriend uses one of her S3 boxes with an SD set. She keeps it set on zoom so all the HD content fills the screen. It's just like watchign Tv when there was analog, only the picture is clearer. It fills the screen like she wants. Personally I Prefer it to be letterboxed, but the S3 or Premiere will present the picture either way.

4. Jun 6, 2011 #4 of 10
    akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Great! Thanks - that really helps! A better image would be nice! It's funny b/c we haven't had a HD tv until a month or so ago when we splurged for the family room - and now... wow, it's hard to watch SD! :)

So, when it transfers though, it will the larger, HD size file if recorded in HD? Thus ensuring we'd fill a small Premiere fairly quickly if we got behind? I was thinking I could save some $ by getting the 40 hr one, but that doesn't sound like it might be the right way to go?

Thx!

5. Jun 6, 2011 #5 of 10
    Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Just adding to what everyone has mentioned, apps like Netflix, Hulu Plus and YouTube all work in SD too, so there's no missed functionality.

Also, for some inexplicable reason, HD content looks better on a SDTV.

6. Jun 7, 2011 #6 of 10
    LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    2) You didn't explicitly ask this, but it is good to be aware of. Not every show may be transferrable. Shows which are marked as do-not-copy cannot be transferred to the second TiVo. Which shows they are depend of your cable company.

7. Jun 7, 2011 #7 of 10
    akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Thanks for all the info, everyone!

@LifeIsABeach (love that!) - do you think I could call the cable company and ask? I haven't experienced that ever here with our Tivo lifetime so it's unique to the Premiere situation?

@Philmatic, that's awesome news b/c I was sort of bummed about giving up our Comcast digital box b/c we do rent onDemand from it upstairs. (Saw the press release that someday our Xfinity On Demand will be available through the Tivo Premiere, but it's starting in San Fran so no bets on when it gets here!)

@aaronwt, even better news! Would love for it to look better!

And, finally @Dewitt, thanks for answering me so quickly! To anyone, do I just press the mysterious Format button on the front to make sure the settings are right or it will just know...?

Still have to figure out my options for buying it - I have a $50 gift cert to Best Buy from rewards and would love the rewards points but want to keep the multi-room discount. Thanks, ALL!

8. Jun 7, 2011 #8 of 10
    robaustin

robaustin Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Quick question -outputting to an SD TV - composite or component - Does that mean....

RCA cables out?

Just double checking before I go and upgrade!

--*Rob

9. Jun 8, 2011 #9 of 10
    LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    It is unique to digital recordings so the S2 never had the issue. Cable companies cannot legally block copies of the main networks (ABC, NBC, etc). Some block all other channels. Some just the pay channels (HBO, etc). IIRC FIOS is the most generous and does not block any. If you post your cable company here or do a search for it on the forum I am sure someone can tell you what they block.

10. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    Time Warner (at least in my area) blocks everything HD except broadcast channels.