Question about Premiere Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jedisinclair13, Nov 14, 2011.

1. jedisinclair13

jedisinclair13 New Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I am considering purchasing an Elite, but I was wondering... are there any issues with the quad tuner? What would I need for it to work with Charter? I'm guessing two M cards and a tuning adapter?

Does anyone have this unit and do all four tuners seem to work well?

2. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

one M card and one tuning adapter will do. Many (including me) are having spontaneous reboot issues, but other than that it is great. And do not plug in the TA during setup, wait until you finish setup to avoid headaches. I specifically love having 4 tuners, this is the best feature

3. jedisinclair13

Nov 8, 2011
    Thanks for your reply. Random reboots don't sound too good. All in all, are you happy with the unit? I currently have a Motorola through Charter and it's OK but not great.

4. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

my Premiere XL reboots too so it has to be a software bug. The Elite is far superior to that Motorola DVR. The reboots are annoying, but I assume they will fix this and they do not happen all the time. Tivo offers a bunch of features like youtube internet video, pandora, video streaming .etc that the typical cable DVR will not so

5. beejay

beejay Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Richmond, IN
    I really want to love my Elite. I installed it on Friday. 4 tuners are wonderful.

I've had 2-3 reboots since Friday. I'm hoping this is a fixable software issue...but in the back of my mind I wonder "what if it's hardware...or not fixable?"

But there is much to love. (I skipped the whole "Series 3" so I don't know how much of this is new in Series 4, but I love some of the options I have now.)

6. jedisinclair13

Nov 8, 2011
    Four tuners sounds awesome, but I just found out that Charter will be offering TiVo Premiere units in a few months. I think I'll just do that. Then, I won't have to pay for the hardware. I know it's not the Elite, but still, pretty sweet.

You can see it at charter-dot-com-slash-tivo

Since I haven't posted 5 times or more on this forum, it won't let me put a link

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I guess the question would be why some have spontaneous reboots and others don't. I have not had any in several weeks and the ones I had were reproducible from bugs. But in normal use with recording with three to four tuners daily, using Hulu+, Netflix, and Amazon several times a week and transferring to/from my Premieres periodically. I have not had any reboots.

8. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    About 2 weeks after I got the Elite and had a number of reboots, but they have since disappeared. There is chatter that the issues is related to signal issues with you cable service. If the uncorrectable error count gets to high, it reboots. I'm NOT saying that the cable company is at fault as I believe the TiVo should do better at handling errors that just rebooting.

Here's my theory with the buying the Elite: You have 30 days to return it with no risk. Get it, set it up, and play with it. If you're not happy with it, take it back.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Day one Elite here, no reboots, it's been my primary Tivo since then