Question About OnePass Options

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HDTivoUser, Apr 28, 2018.

1. HDTivoUser

HDTivoUser Early Adopter

May 2, 2005
    Virginia

Advertisements

I just installed my new TiVo system yesterday (Bolt VOX and 4 Mini VOXs). I set up a few of our OnePasses yesterday. One of them is on ABC - American Idol.

The Options I've set for this OnPass is as follows:

Include - Recordings Only
    Start From - New Episodes Only
    Rent or Buy - Don't Include
    Record - New Only
    Channel - (ABCHD)
    Get in HD - If possible
    Keep at most - 25
    Keep Until - Space Needed
    Start - On Time
    Stop - On Time

There is an episode of American Idol airing tonight at 8PM (S1 EP14) that originally aired on 4/23/18. As this is not a new episode, I would expect my TiVo to NOT record this episode. However, the episode is scheduled to record....despite my OnePass Options.

Any idea why? What am I misunderstanding?

Thanks.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    As far as your TiVo knows, you've never seen it, so it's 'new'...TiVo err's on the side of 'don't miss the show' as you can always delete it.

-KP

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Lose the Keep at Most. Make it All. And like was posted, it's new to your TiVo.

4. HDTivoUser

HDTivoUser Early Adopter

May 2, 2005
    Virginia
    So it’ll just record all old episodes that are “new to the TiVo”, when I only want new episodes? Where is the line drawn? How old can the episode be and still be considered “new to the TiVo”?

Thanks.

5. Lurker1

Lurker1 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2004

Advertisements

28 days.

6. JolDC

JolDC Active Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Arlington VA
    If the show aired within the last couple of weeks and you haven’t recorded it or told it to not record it explicitly, then the OnePass will consider it as new for recording purposes.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I must admit to now being more confused by this topic than I was before, when I thought that I understood matters. :sleeping:

8. HDTivoUser

HDTivoUser Early Adopter

May 2, 2005
    Virginia
    Ok. Thanks for the responses!

9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Your question has been answered, a show is "new" for 28 days if you haven't recorded it yet.

"Get In HD if possible" isn't a choice you can make if you select a particular channel, it is only allowed if "All Channels" is specified. Which makes sense because a specific channel is either HD or not, so if you've chosen a channel the choice of HD (or not) has already been made. But even if you choose "All Channels" you should not also specify "Get HD...", because in my experience the HD tag is often missing from the individual program's metadata and will prevent that showing being recordinged. A better choice is to disable all SD channels that have HD duplicates.

Watching SD is bad for your eyes anyway and will cause eyestrain and nausea.

10. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    The detail free explanation is that a newly installed Tivo will do this for a while, don't worry, under normal circumstances it will stop. It knows that for some reason it didn't record that episode, the episode *was* new when it didn't record it, so it's picking it up for you now. Think of a brand new Tivo, as a Tivo waking up from a 28-day power outage, and it's doing what it can.

11. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    That's more of a personal preference based on individual requirements.

I keep (a rolling) 3 episodes of ABC World News and CBS, NBC, ABC 11PM News. 3 is also my default when creating a new One Pass. I use KUID for recordings that I rate 'Must See' and non-KUID for 'fluff'. My 500GB HDD goes from ~75% to 100% full depending on whether I'm watching shows or surfing the internet. ;)

12. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Here's another 'tidbit' I've never seen mentioned:

If a non-KUID One Pass / Wishlist recording is deleted by the TiVo for 'Space Needed', it will record it again, if available.​

I've noticed this with a few cable channel One Passes / Wishlists that repeat multiple showings per week / month.

13. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    ^^^^ [See 'tidbit' above]

14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    You're kidding, right? 10+ years on my OTA Toshiba Series 2 TiVo box didn't cause me a life of queasiness, and I swear, to this day, that I really can't tell the difference between SD and HD on my 40" LCD television from 10' away and so comfortably record in SD if I have the option, to save space.

Or, do I have a lawsuit against TiVo? ;)

15. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    To start with the most important issue, your arbitration agreement that you have agreed to with TiVo by using the device precludes your bringing any lawsuit for any reason.

I'm sorry about your poor eyesight, but perhaps it's a blessing in disguise as a recent study by researchers at Miskatonic University headed by the noted Dr. Herbert West confirm the ill effects I have cited. In my own personal experience I find the only way to avoid severe vomiting when my wife channel surfs into SD television is to cover my eyes and leave the room immediately. As I have said before, friends don't let friends watch SD television.

kpeters59 likes this.
  16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Upon your recommendations, I now have set up an appointment for a refraction with the estimable Dr. West.

ej42137 and kpeters59 like this.
  17. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Since rovi took over tivo; expect the unexpected.
    On programming that does not have reruns, like some sports shows.
    I always, since rovi, check the todo list to make sure the program IS set to record.
    On a programs such as American Idol, Amazing Race or Survivor. I check the todo list to make sure they are going to record.

Also pay particular attention to onepass manager ranking. Put programs such as American Idol at the top ranking.