Question about my account

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kantonburg, Jul 28, 2007.

1. kantonburg

kantonburg TiVooViT

May 9, 2002
    I had TiVo for several years before Comcast offered what I wanted hardware wise. I've had my Comcast box for about 2.5 years and the TiVoHD has renewed my interest in TiVo.

I just logged into my account and for one of my old TiVos is shows

Service Closed Transfers ALLOWED

What does the transfers allowed mean/do for me? It was a monthly account btw.

2. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    It means it can do MRV and TTG.

3. kantonburg

kantonburg TiVooViT

May 9, 2002
    So it technically doesn't have any affect if I bought a TiVoHD?

4. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    It has nothing to do with transferring service or transferring an account, if that's what you mean.

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Its means Service is Closed. (No Tivo Service)

But

Transfers are Allowed. (To other Tivos, PC's etc)

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That seems to go against everything I've read/heard about Tivos.

Don't they become "boat anchors" when there isn't an active service on them?
    Everything I've read on this forum indicates that all you can do with an unsubbed Tivo is watch TV through the 30 min buffer and watch any shows that are still on the HD (no new recording, no TTG or MRV).

:confused:

7. kantonburg

kantonburg TiVooViT

May 9, 2002

Well I guess my next question would be if an actual transfer is allowed to another TiVo does that mean I can transfer my old $12.95 rate vs. the $16.95 if I were to decide to just pay monthly?

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    No, of course not. That isn't what "transfers allowed" means.

The website list your account as closed because it is. it also states "transfers allowed" as in the ability to use Tivo to go (TTG) and multi-room viewing (MRV) because that was a setting made at the website. The fact that your service is closed does not affect the settings made via the tivo web site, therefore, they are still listed as they were.

9. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Good: Thanks for clearing that up for me, at first I did not know what the OP meant that his account said transfers allowed, I knew that each TiVo on an account (closed or open) would/could say that but that an option for each TiVo not an account option.

10. kantonburg

kantonburg TiVooViT

May 9, 2002
    great

Thanks for clearing that up.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    True except for Series 1s(*). Though moot since you apparently have series 2s since yours are MRV enabled.

(*) Though supposedly some series 1s at the end shipped with a version of the OS late enough that they wouldn't work without a subscription. (Note the earlier ones work WITH LOTS OF NAG SCREENS, and IMHO not a good experience compared to 'vcr-like' DVRs, even if they have upgraded their software.) Though I have never heard of one of these 'too new' series 1s being seen in the wild.

12. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    With the Series 1's, most where Shipped with Software Version 1.3 or earlier. You can use these units to manually record without a Subscription. They also had a few other tools that where useful.

Any Software Version after 1.3 had this ability removed.

Also, if you upgraded the Software on your Series 1, you also lost the Manually recording ability.