Question about HD Tivo and Lifetime transfer

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MannyE, Oct 15, 2007.

1. MannyE

MannyE Dalek Sec

Dec 7, 2001
    Miami...
    Hi!

I've got an old Phillips S1 that I've been using in another room (I have to say that it's AMAZING that the original HD is still going strong in that old Phillips unit. It must be close to 10 years already!)

I saw the offer for the transfer, it looks like I can't use it with DirecTV. In the old days, I would take the output of the DirecTV box and plug it into the Tivo and the tivo would, through the 9 pin serial, control the box.

Has DirecTV locked SA HDTivos out of it's service somehow or has Tivo decided not to make HD Tivos that work with DirecTVs HD boxes?

2. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    TiVo's decided to use CableCard on their Series 3 boxes instead of needing IR blasters (or serial control) to change the set top box. The TiVo replaces the set top box in this instance.

CableCards are not available from sattelite companies, so that's why it wouldn't work for DirecTV. There's no way for the TiVo to change the channel on DirecTV's box. DirecTV is interested in their own DVR now, so they aren't partering with TiVo to create new TiVo boxes that work on their service.

3. MannyE

MannyE Dalek Sec

Dec 7, 2001
    Miami...
    Thanks for the response.

Darn. OK. I guess I understand, it's a way for Tivo to passively partner with ALL the cable companies via the subscribers themselves. Pretty smart actually. I've been with Dtv for so long I never had cable boxes with cards, so I wasn't aware how it worked.

Guess that means that at my beach place I can have cable and then this deal will make sense.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But your direcTV boxes have what is somewhat analogous to cable cards -- the card that slides in the DirecTV box.

5. MannyE

MannyE Dalek Sec

Dec 7, 2001
    Miami...
    Yes but my first Tivo, a SA Phillips unit (which I just realized I activated on Dec 12, 1999 and just rendered this whole thing moot because I can transfer that lifetime to anything once) would work with anything, right?

Back then cable boxes didn't have cards, Dtv boxes did, but the Tivo didn't care what I put into it. Or maybe I'm wrong, it was, after all, 1999.

I should note that that original unit is still going strong and the original hard drive is still spinning happily! Something to be said for those low speed drives.

But best of all, if I understand this correctly, my lifetime sub on that old unit means I can wait until whatever shiny new box Tivo unveils on November 10th comes out, then buy that and transfer the lifetime.

Maybe THAT unit will work with any box, cable, DTV or Dish?

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It isn't, really. There are hardware and software components in the receiver that works with the smartcard to authorize subscribed channels. A Cablecard on the other hand itself provides the authorization itself.

If Lifetime was purchased before Jan 21 2000, then one is better off taking advantage of its Grandfathered Lifetime transfer status.

I wouldn't count on any standalone box "recording " HD from an external STB, or driectly from other than cable or OTA. If anything, it would be no different than existing Series 1/2s, that can record SD from any STB supplying it. That is if there is a new box coming out next month.

7. MannyE

MannyE Dalek Sec

Dec 7, 2001
    Miami...
    Well, I don't know what's going to happen next month, BUT the fact that my box is grandfathered in means I can afford to wait and see what happens now or maybe in January around Superbowl time.

Either way, I don't have to rush to take advantage of this offer. Although I have to say that if I was past the cutoff, it would be a nice deal.