Question about Fios vs digital cable -- and which is better for a dual tuner Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by True Colors, Dec 21, 2006.

1. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My apartment complex has notified me that we are already wired for FIOS from Verizon. I am considering signing up for this. The prices look nice, and I like the convenience of having everything wrapped into one single bundle with one monthly bill also(cable tv, phone, and high speed internet).

My question is this......... does anyone know if they have to install any special equipment for this to work in your apartment? For example, on the dish network, you have to get a dish mounted outside of your place for it to work. Is FIOS like that, or do all of the services merely run through a wire with nothing else needing to be added? Does FIOS require me to purchase a dish, or a special cable box, or do anything extra for me to use its TV service?

Also, which is more "friendly" towards a dual tuner Tivo........ FIOS, or regular digital cable from time warner? I do not want to have a cable plan which will prevent me from using the dual tuner feature.

Thanks!

TC

2. mamosley

mamosley New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    With fios you will need some stb's or cable cards. No dish on the outside but they will need to install a router somewhere in your apartment.

3. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I just did some huge research on FiOS vs. everything else in all categories.

As far as tv goes and dual tuner I noticed that without the use of a STB you only get the local channels from FiOS (look on verizon's page to see what those are, it is the white shadded box). For me that is only about 15-20 channels and of those I would only watch a small amount such as FOX, ABC, NBC, etc. With that said it wouldn't be pointless to have a S2 DT on that system as the analog tuner could pick up the main shows on FOX, ABC, NBC, etc and digital would pick up all others (I know can't control it). Having a S3 though with the cable cards then I would be able to get any of the lineup on both tuners.

Now digital in my area I would get what would be "standard cable" without STB which amounts to about 80 channels. In that case the DT analog tuner could of course pick up more shows.

The kicker though is the price:

Fios w/STB would be about $44/month
    Digital w/STB would be about $58/month (no taxes, other fees on those numbers)

It is a tough call and depends on factors such as price and what your local channels are for Fios.

4. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    This is true but I believe you can get the "local" channels without having a STB. The router I believe is free, I know for sure in my area they are at least doing free router with FiOS internet so I would guess same goes with TV.

Adding on if your apartment complex is already setup for FiOS then I am guessing they already installed the ONT (optical network terminal) and battery backup system on the complex. If that is the case then they just have to do some minor installation in your apartment.

5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Advertisements

Do cable cards even WORK with FiOS systems?

6. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Yep $2.99/month

7. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    What is a cable card, and what is an STB?

Also, FIOS says that they will give you a wireless router if you sign up for their service. How long do you have to keep the FIOS service before you own the router permanently?

And does anyone know how long you have to sign up for FIOS? Does it require a one year commitment, or can you start or stop it any time that you like? What are the hookup charges(if any)?

TC

8. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Cable card: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_card, essentially is a card you place in your TV or a device (such as a series 3) that takes the place of the STB (cable box) and decrypts your encrypted channels
    STB: Set Top Box, it is your cable box used to decrypted encrypted channels

For FiOS a STB is required for all channels except the local ones, IIRC.

Note: IIRC is if I recall/remember correctly

9. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I was correct about the local channels only without STB

Source: http://www22.verizon.com/content/fiostv/customer+support/faqs/faqs.htm

Local is channels 1-49, check Verizon's FIOS Ch Lineup page for your area to see what that entails. My areadoes not use all 1-49 and only had about 15+ channels.

10. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    There is no contract. If you do want to do a 1 yr contract though then you can save $5/month on your movies (currently $11.95 for me) and get your first STB ($3.95/month) for free. Early termination fee of $99 applies. You are not required to commit for a year though.

11. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    First 3 TVs are free. Each additional is one time fee of $19.95.

12. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Sorry about the multiple replies, but just doing searches and researching again and this is one that has stumped me. I am not sure the answer to that one and I could not find it. Usually there is a commitment on internet service and so if you cancel internet service before it is over and got the "Free" router then you have to send it back, but in this case I am not sure how it works as commitment is optional for savings.

13. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Thanks for all the good info. I still do have a question about this, though:

So how exactly will a series 2 DT interface with FIOS? Will the DT unit be able to pick up any and all channels with both of its tuners, or will it be restricted to one of the tuners getting all of the channels, while its other tuner gets only a partial set of the channels? If so, then that would really suck!

Also, I will check on the router thing(how long do you have to subscribe before you actually own the router yourself permanently). If I find out anything, I will post it here!

TC

14. gijoecam

gijoecam GIJoeCam

Sep 18, 2006
    Near the...
    I would think that any S2 DT would work with the FIOS just like any other cable box, i.e. it would control the box for the premium channels, and could also record basic cable channels.

No?

I also suspect that you probably never actually own the router, unless it's a freebie giveaway (which is possible). I suspect you probably lease it just like you lease a cable modem or STB. Cancel the agreement, or stop making payments, and they want it all back. (again, unless it's a free giveaway). The advantage is that if there's ever a connectivity issue, it's the cable company's problem to figure out. Convenient,... until you move and no longer have a router.

-Joe

15. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Like GIJoe said the DT will work just like any other STB/Analog setup. The DT can record/tune two analog stations or 1 analog and 1 digital. In the case of FiOS analog is only the channels 1-49 and in the case of most cable companies analog is channels 1-99. The S2 DT can not record on both tuners in digital that was the way it was made so unless you just have analog then one tuner will get all the channels while the other only get the partial set. The S3 can handle two digital with the use of cable cards.

16. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    More or less the same with normal cable, except the fact that "basic" cable is digital only, so the analog tuners will tune only what is on 1-49, the rest with the box.

17. TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    I have Fios. I believe all digital channels in Fios are encrypted except for the local HD channels. I do not believe that the S2DT could receive and display the encrypted digital channels since it has no way of decrypting them (it can't use a CableCard to get the decryption information).

You're basically stuck using the S2DT with 2 set top boxes from Verizon, which I think means you can only record the analog outputs of the 2 set top boxes.

The S3 lets you get all digital channels using the CableCards.

18. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Channels 1-49 are unencrypted and do not require the STB.

Problem with using 2 STB from Verizon is not an option as the Tivo can only control 1 of those 2 so I am confused on what that whole line is saying.

19. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    According to the TOS I got when I signed up (as always, carefully read your own TOS as it may or may not be different from mine) ... The router is mine after a year (regardless of whether I go with the month-to-month or one year committment). If I cancel before that I have to return it (or pay for it).

My first router died pretty quickly (within a month). Verizon replaced it.

20. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    So therefore I will have to use 2 set top boxes in order to utilize my dual tuners?

If I want to watch one show, and record another, then I will have to have 2 set top boxes in order to do that?

TC