Question about FAT32 for backups

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by funtoupgrade, Jan 6, 2006.

1. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    For my backups I use a separate computer with a small FAT32 drive as the primary master for storing my backup images. I am trying to advise a customer who has only NTFS partitions on his primary drive. He has created a fourth FAT32 partition on the drive with Partition Magic. Can he just copy the copy the image from his CD to this partition and follow Hinsdale? Or does the partition have to be active and/or primary and/or what? He is having no luck mounting the drive in Linux using the standard mkdir and mount instructions.

2. StanSimmons

StanSimmons Senior Moment Member

Jun 10, 2000
    Flower...
    NTFS is ok for existing images. The mfstools cd can read from NTFS, but it can't write to NTFS. You only need FAT32 if you are creating new images.

3. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    OK. If the backup image is put into the root directory of the primary NTFS active partition, do you still mkdir and mount or just go right to the mfsrestore?

My customer will also need to run copykern (series 1). I presume this will give error message when trying to write backup kernel to the NTFS partition?

4. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    You have to create a mount point (mkdir) and mount the partition before you will be able to read files from it.