Question about DVR Tivo with Locals

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by pitboss01821, Jan 25, 2006.

1. pitboss01821

pitboss01821 New Member

Jan 25, 2006

Advertisements

Good Day All,

Last night i called DTV to upgrade my sub from regular to an HD package.

Now I know these Rep.'s don't give you the greatest help and sometimes you have more questions after you hang up with them, but this Rep. had me scratching my head. I was told that if i get the HD DVR the tivo will not record the locals in HD because the MPEG 4 compression is not working correctly on the units.
    The Rep. said DTV will have new DVR units in mid 2006 that will work properly.

Does anyone know if this is indeed true in the Boston market??? Locals cannot be recorded on the Tivo because the DVR's have a problem with the MPEG 4 compression for locals?

Now the olympics are right around the corner and if i can't record my local NBC in HD because the DVR can't handle the MPEG 4 compression, i am wondering what are other people going to do?

Maybe i'll just have to go with an DTV HD reciever and get a Toshiba HD DVR. But could someone tell me if this Rep. is right or full of B*llsh*t. When i called and spoke to another Rep. 2 weeks earlier there was absolutly no mention of this problem.

Thank you very much for your help!
    Pitboss01821

2. Marco

Marco Loyal Little TCF Club

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    With the HR10-250, you can record your local channels via an over the air (OTA) signal. Which means you need an antenna to bring in that signal.

The HR10-250 doesn't do MPEG4. It is not a question of "working correctly."
    The new DVR will, but it won't be TiVo-powered. :mad:

AFAIK DirecTV is not yet offering High Def local channels *at all* (except for NY and LA), but will begin doing so sometime this year.

Real experts please feel free to correct any misinformation I am spreading.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The Boston HD locals are in MPEG4 and the HR10-250 simply cannot receive these. There are HD locals in a dozen or so markets, including Boston, with more being rolled out all the time.

Marco is correct in saying that it is not a matter of "working correctly" - simply that the older hardware does not support the new satellites.

If you have an antenna, you can perhaps pick up the Boston NBC HD local - the HR10 can receive that.

4. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    well i'm not an expert but know for sure philly has locals in HD now for mpeg4. Also 12 other markets were supposed to be turned on last year (doubt they made that number though) plus a few others are supposed to be done by the end of this year. I think 36 in total.

Of course for anyone wanting to record HD locals in mpeg4, you are all out of luck for now. Get that antenna on the roof for your HDtivo :)

5. kpm807

kpm807 New Member

Jan 10, 2005

Advertisements

yes the rep is right. the hr10-250 is not mpeg4 compatible. the new one comes out 03-01-2006 when everything switches over to the leasing plan. it will most likely be less expensive. and will work with the hd locals from the 99 and the 103 sat. not everything the rep's tell u is bs!

6. pitboss01821

pitboss01821 New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Thanks for your help, guys.

I wish i could put an antenna on my roof to get the locals but i can't get them all to come in. FOX for some reason is blocked by something.

Think I'll just get a HD receiver for now and any Olympics i miss, i'll record with my regular DVR. It won't be HD but hey, better than spending 400 bucks now for a DVR that won't record what i want in HD anyways.

It's funny DTV couldn't have taken care of this local mess before the olympics.

Good luck,

GO USA !!!

7. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    it's the DVR that's the hold up for us in the top markets. Now if you are at the bottom of the HD local list, you could be waiting a year or so to get them.

(as he waits for jimspence's inevitable groan :))

8. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    That's the way to go. After March 1, you'll be able to get a useable HD DVR, but, of course, Torino will be over.

Hey, there's always the Summer games in 2008 and the winter in 2010.

Enjoy.