Question about Dr. Who

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by packerfan, Dec 11, 2010.

1. packerfan

packerfan Elk Whisperer

Jan 7, 2002
    Titletown

Advertisements

I started watching the first season and was wondering at what point I could watch the four specials that were made:
    - The next doctor
    - Planet of the dead
    - The waters of mars
    - The end of time parts 1 and 2

Do I need to finish certain seasons, in order to understand what is going on or can the specials be watched at any point?

2. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    After season/series 4, before 5.

3. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine
    Yes, definitely wait, it won't make sense if you watch the specials now.

btw, packerfan we're going to see a packer/patriots game in a week and a half :up:

4. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Yeah those specials have a definitive space in the continuity of the show, so wait till you're done with season 4.

5. packerfan

packerfan Elk Whisperer

Jan 7, 2002
    Titletown

Advertisements

That should be a good game. Two of the best teams in the league right now imho.

6. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine
    Yea, my husband is VERY much looking forward to it. He grew up in Wisconsin (Wausau), and now lives in New England, so he likes both teams.

How much snow you buried under today?

7. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I know this is continuing a way off topic conversation --- When California was having all those problems with Enron, one of the columnists covering this made a habit of saying at the end of his columns. "But it is snowing in Wisconsin." :)

8. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine
    LOL ! Why did he say that? Is it a common saying?

9. packerfan

packerfan Elk Whisperer

Jan 7, 2002
    Titletown
    I'm also from Wausau. What high school did your husband go to?

Don't get me started on the snow. I had a 5 foot drift in front of my garage door this morning. It took me 2 hours to clear my driveway and that was with a snowblower.

10. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine

Holy snow ! That's some big freaking snow. It's raining here today. Raining in Maine, in December. Weird.

Couldn't believe the amount of snow you guys are getting. And MN, the Metrodome roof collapsed!! :eek:

You're from Wausau too! Small world. He went to East. Which did you go to?

Sympathies on today's game. O.M.G. ... prolly leave it at that

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Right, the Specials were a compromise mini-season intended to keep David Tennant on-board for another year without him having to do a complete new season; the BBC delayed the fifth season for a year and ran the specials instead. But they are, as Spike said, a major part of the ongoing continuity. You'd be lost in Season 5 without them, and you'd be lost watching them early.

12. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Another reason is they had to rebuild the sets for HD broadcast (prior years ere shot widescreen, but not HD. Note the absence of the Tardis duting the majority of that series

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Believe me, that was a completely separate issue. They would NEVER have sacrificed a full season of the highly popular David Tennant just because they needed a new set!

If Tennant had been willing to do Season 5, it either would have had a new set or been shot SD.

14. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Right-and there is a very important scene in the "old" Tardis at the end of "End of Time"....

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    It was a typical California weather brag. It is not a common saying. But it always brought a smile to my face. I think it is, no matter how bad things are in California, we have our decent weather.

16. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine
    :up: thx. You do sound like you always have fab weather in CA !

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'll never forget my four years in Santa Barbara, which has maybe the most perfect weather on the face of the Earth.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Speak for yourself! Lately, I'm almost thinking of not wearing shorts to work!
    (only semi-jokingÂ… it's not all sunny, but since I'm outside so little in general, I can still wear shorts.)

19. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I called it "wimp weather" when I lived in Port Hueneme and Oxnard. I mean people were using the unheated swimming pool in December and flowers were always in bloom. I now live in the high desert which can get fairly cold and pretty hot but compared to the humidity of the Southeast and Midwest it is nothing and we don't get the snows and blizzards. We don't even get bad earthquakes here. The wind can be quite powerful though and that is the main irritant.

Once during the TV coverage of the Martin Luther King day earthquake a co-worker got a call from a brother in New York who was not exclaiming about how bad the earthquake was but the fact the LAPD officers were wearing shorts. :)

20. Alpinemaps

Alpinemaps New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Just out of college, I was recruited by a company to work in Santa Barbara. They used the 'we have the best weather in December - it's perfect' line on me. The man doing the recruiting (my future boss) was in his second year in SB, after coming from Washington, DC.

I reminded him that I was coming from San Diego, and that our weather was better. :)