Question about D-Link DWL-G122 and Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sheriffmedic, Sep 28, 2005.

1. sheriffmedic

sheriffmedic New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I was just wondering...On the Tivo adapter site it says that the D-Link DWL-G122 is 802.11b, however the only D-Link DWL-G122 that I have found are all 802.11g.

Does Tivo have their information wrong or is this not the right adapter??

Also just FYI if this is the right adapter Buy*com has this adapter for 34.95 w/ free shipping plus a 15.00 MIR until 09/30/05.
    Thanks!!!!

*Sorry, can't post url's yet....Still too new.

2. tweekerz

tweekerz Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Concord, Ca

While typing in the reply fied, on your keyboard, hit Ctrl + V

or LQQK at the above hyperlink icon [​IMG]

3. coolstick

coolstick New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The TIVO info is correct. You need the 802.11b not the g. Unfortunately, as you have found, it is no longer manufactured and is very hard to find available. I bought mine direct from the TIVO store on their web site about 3 or 4 months ago. At the time that was about the only place I could find it. Not sure what's going on with TIVO but the store apparently isn't available anymore. You might be able to find one on ebay. TIVO definitely needs to work out compatibility issues here.

I will say that once you get the networking up and running it is truly amazing. The ability to stream my mp3's and pictures from my computer to the TV is way cool.

You could always network with wires if you can't find the D-Link b, but if your computer is far from your TIVO then that's not a good option.

4. stantonl

stantonl New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Eagle River, Ak
    I would say not to buy this adapter off of the internet because only certain versions are compatiable with tivo. Do a quick search there are numerous threads on people that +/- luck with this adapter. I have one and it works for me.

5. TampaDon

TampaDon Don

Apr 26, 2004
    San Tan...
    Hi.

I have two of those adapters, and they work fine with Tivo 7.1 and 7.2 on a 240-series unit.

The speed is impressive. You can watch video from another unit without a pause. I got them for $10 after rebate a few months back.

If you find one in a store, make sure it says: H/W Ver: A2 F/W Ver 1.02
    on the box. I know others don't seem to work.

Don

6. coolstick

coolstick New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Ebay has several of these for sale right now. After an extensive google search this is the only place I've found them. I have the Toshiba TIVO/DVD recorder combo and this device works flawlessly with my network.

I tried to post a url to the ebay page with these, but since I'm a newbie here it won't let me until I have more posts - something about preventing spammers from posting crap here. Anyway, go to ebay and search on this

d-link dwl-122 802-11b

Hope that helps.

7. TampaDon

TampaDon Don

Apr 26, 2004
    San Tan...
  8. subface

subface New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    this is the most frustrating thing i've dealt with in a while. i picked up the G122, which was the only adapter available at the store here and my third attempt at getting a compatible adapter, and it's apparently too new for Tivo to keep up with. so stupid. i refuse to pay for a phone line only to keep my Tivo up-to-date, but this is getting ridiculous.

Come on Tivo. Get with it! Such a great product otherwise...

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They are doing what they can., based on what resources they do have and what limited cooperation they do get from adapter manufacturers.

You can also blame adapter manufacturers for not sticking to a design/chipset long term, and when they do make the design change not making it obvious.