question about cablecard activation

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ve52001, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ve52001

ve52001 New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    I'm having issues with getting a cablecard activated. We allready tried at least 3 to 4 cards. The only unusual thing I'm seeing is on the dvr diag screen I see the OOB SNR is only 2. Is that because the card isn't paired yet or do I have an issue with the premiere box? The charter tech hooked up a analyzer and signals coming in to the box are good.

2. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Get tivo csr on the phone when you are doing this, they are extremely helpful, and tell you to call the cable company at some point.

have fun and goood luck.

3. Saberj

Saberj New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Agreed. Sometimes they will even call the cable company for you, if you are having issues getting them to do what you need. They know their stuff.

4. ve52001

ve52001 New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Well the first cable card the tech brought today was a success. Man, they need to throw away all those cards that wont work or get them together and figure out what the deal is. Everything is working great and the OOB SNR is still 2 so I dont think that is affecting anything. On the qam channels I get from 35 to 37 SNR so no trouble with signal quality. :up:

5. Jan 1, 2012 #5 of 15
    Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    I just had my cable cards activated for two units, one multi stream card for each. I picked them up on Friday as well as two tuner boxes but they left out the power cables for the tuners. I was hoping they might be powered via USB but no such luck.

When I called for activation, the guy told me I needed the cables but we went ahead with the activation anyway. The cards are now activated but I can not watch TV until Tuesday when I can get the cables. Here is my question.

Before inserting the cable cards I was able to watch all the broadcast channels. Several times during guided set up I saw warnings that looked like this: DO NOT remove the cable card.

If I do remove the cable from one box, I should be able to watch and/or record the broadcast channels Sunday and Monday but what will happen when I replace them.

Will I need to run Guided Setup again? Will I need to reactivate the card? Will there be any other consequences I am not even aware of?

6. Jan 1, 2012 #6 of 15
    angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    Can you pick Cable cards in New york city.Im on TWC. I want to do the self install. ??? If any one knows please let me know.

7. Jan 1, 2012 #7 of 15
    Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Angel, I am in Brooklyn and TW changed their policy about a year ago. You can now pick them up at any TW office or you can call and have them mailed to you.

I don't know about the tuner box that I needed and you will probably also need, you may have to pick them up in person and if so just get the cards and tuner at the same time.

I picked mine up Friday just before the three day weekend only to get home and find out the morons forgot to give me the tuner power cables for my two units.

As for my original question, I just went ahead and removed the cards and am redoing Guided Setup right now just to be able to watch the broadcast channels until I get the power cables on Tuesday.

Then I will have to reactivate and redo Guided Setup all over again. Just for your info, when I first attempted to activate the cards on Friday, I was on hold for two straight hours at the TW Cable Card assist number and was about to hang up at 11:05PM (They close at 11PM) when I got an answer.

Great except that guy told me I could not activate without the tuner box plugged in. Found out he was 100% wrong and activated the cards on Saturday. Reason I'm telling you this is because of that hold time.

Not sure why, but when I called on Saturday from my landline I was again on hold for 35 minutes when I decided to up my odds. I placed a second call from a Magic Jack phone and then 3rd call from my cell. Don't know why, but the cell call rang only one time and I got an answer right away.

Good luck.

8. Jan 2, 2012 #8 of 15
    angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    REPEAT,Any one if you can pick up cable cards in New york city.Need to know???

9. Jan 2, 2012 #9 of 15
    Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    DUH!

Did you read my note which is the only thing separating your first time asking this question and your repeat request???

I'll answer again, but much simpler this time...
    YES!

10. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    Thank you I did not get your info untill now. Thats why i did the repeat :( I hope you unstand. Thank you:up:

11. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Sorry that my second reply was a bit in your face, I'm a bit agitated over TW jamming me up for four days by not giving me the required cables.

12. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    I hope TWC is doing the right thing for you. Did you get your cables???

13. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Iam on my way to pick them up the second I send this, let you know what happened.

They have no reason nor justification to not give me the required cables.

14. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    You are right.I just pick up my cable card and TA.The TA was in a box with all the cables that i need.:up:I called and got my cable cards fixed. I now have every thing working. I hope it stays that way???

15. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    When I went to get the cables on Tuesday, the girl that took care of me remembered me and told me that the guy who issued me the TA's realized I didn't have the power cables and tried to call me back.

I didn't say anything, but I was fuming. It's near closing time on the Firday before a three day weekend. You don't have someone run out to the parking area to stop me?

When I said I also didn't have the USB cables she asked if they weren't in the box as you mentioned and there was the answer. I was only given the TA inside the plastic bag that the guy had apparently removed from the box that also contained the necessary cables.

Just hope this isn't an omen of what to expect in 2012.