Question about a TiVo Series 2, single tuner DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1 of 10
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I'm looking to possibly get a TiVo Series 2, single tuner DVR (from ebay or Craigslist) to hook up to my Comcast DTA boxes. From what I can tell, these Series 2s do NOT have an ethernet port, correct?

Therefore, would I need to get some sort of USB adapter (ethernet or wireless) in order to get them networkable? Or is this not even possible to begin with?

If able to and once this is done, can online scheduling, MRV and pyTivo be used with this Single tuner TiVo (w/ USB network adapter)?

2. Feb 5, 2012 #2 of 10
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I posted this in the other thread, but I'll say it here too. If you need an ethernet port, just get a dual tuner S2.

3. Feb 5, 2012 #3 of 10
    CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Correct.

Yes, see http://www.tivo.com/adapters. It is possible, I do it.

Yes, I do it.

With all that said, if your cable company offers the over the air network cannels in analog format that can be viewed without needing a DTA, then the dual tuner is a much better idea. There is no advantage to grabbing these older units if you don't have to.

4. Feb 5, 2012 #4 of 10
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The only S2 with an Ethernet jack is the Dual Tuner, i.e., TCD649xxx

The 240 and the 540 can use the TiVo wireless G USB thingie just like the S2 DT.

I've got a 540 running wired with a Netgear FA120 USB to Ethernet adapter.

Here's what TiVo has to say on the subject

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/405

I can TiVo to TiVo transfer and TiVo to computer and computer to TiVo transfer with my single tuner S2s just like with my dual tuner ones.

Of course you'll need a subscription for each unit to do any of that no matter how many tuners it does or doesn't have.

If you aren't buying lifetimed units, keep an eye on Craigslist for free ones and don't pay more than $20 for any S2, unless it comes with a TiVo brand wireless G USB adapter thrown in or a bigger than stock hard drive or both.

5. Feb 5, 2012 #5 of 10
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I've found that the Rocketfish USB adapter for the Wii works with my S2 Tivos.

6. Feb 6, 2012 #6 of 10
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I ask because I see some Series 2, single tuner TiVos for sale in my local Craigslist for DIRT cheap. And some are even throwing in the USB adapter as well. I was just trying to figure out if these would then be networkable. I realize probably getting a Series 2 DT might be the better option, but if single tuners are available for the right price (& include a USB adapter), I might consider it.

7. Feb 6, 2012 #7 of 10
    lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Check for any S2 )single or dual) with Lifetime Subscription, especially if less than, say, $150. The lifetime will pay back pretty quickly vs. another subscription path.

8. Feb 6, 2012 #8 of 10
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Yea, I agreea bout the lifetime thing. I'm also seeing some Series 2, single tuner TiVos available for dirt cheap on Craigslist in my area. Some even come with USB adapters. I might consider them.

One thing I just thought of that might make it easier to decide is that while using a DTA essentially renders a Dual Tuner TiVo to a single tuner (since it has no RCA outputs), I wondering if I could use an old VCR with the DTA to integrate it into a TiVo series 2 DT unit.

Basically, have the DTA's coaxial output go to the VCR's coaxial input. Then hook up the VCRs RCA outs to the TiVo S2DT's RCA ins. In theory, this would then allow some dual tuner functionality to be retained. I realize the VCR would have to be on constantly and stay on ch 3 or 4, but I have some old non-functioning VCRs so this might be a good way to put them to use. Just a thought and anybody else ever try this with success?

9. Feb 6, 2012 #9 of 10
    CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Yes, they are networkable. I have one running this way right now.

10. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN