Question about 1yr committment service pricing

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Joe Siegler, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jun 6, 2011 #1 of 11
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    I've got a question about the new pricing stuff. I'm not pissed about it, but I am confused about one aspect of it.

If you sign up for service with the $19.99 a month deal, what happens at the end of the year? The site says you can then have "month to month", but can you still sign up for lifetime at that time if you want to? Money is an issue with this scenario, and the $500 hit for lifetime is more than can be spent at the moment.

I've got a TiVoHD that I'm happy with - this isn't for me. Asking for a friend who would be getting their first TiVo. I'm the "TiVo guy" to them, but this is the first I've dabbled with the new pricing stuff, so I thought I'd ask.

2. Jun 6, 2011 #2 of 11
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    At the end of the year you can cancel than put lifetime on the TiVo for the same $500, but you have a loss of $240 from the 1st years monthly payments, even at current interest rates of credit cards one would be ahead of the game by borrowing the $480 from the credit card co (you have to have the first $20 for the first monthly payment.), than pay the credit card down by at least $20/month for the first year than pay off the card, your interest would be at most about $100, so you would save about $140.

3. Jun 6, 2011 #3 of 11
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I would recommend to your friend that they save up their money and when they have enough buy a Premiere with lifetime (you can do it for them and save them $100).

Honestly if I couldn't afford to pay cash for a TiVo with lifetime I wouldn't buy one. I am fairly old school and have only used credit for 3 things in my life. Going to College, buying a House, & buying Cars. I may have not bought as much "stuff" as others but being debt free is a really great feeling.

Thanks,

4. Jun 6, 2011 #4 of 11
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    I know that feeling too, I ruined my credit in the 80's, repaired it in the 90s', and have been great since then. So I get that part of it. :)

5. Jun 6, 2011 #5 of 11
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I was just trying to make a point about the difference between Lifetime and monthly at $19.99/month, in general I think bad to pay any interest to any credit card co, but in this case I would make an exception because of the total savings and one may be able to find an offer for a credit card without any interest for the first 6-10 months, than my idea would be a no brainier if you did not use the card to charge anything else.

6. Jun 7, 2011 #6 of 11
    Hoc1

Hoc1 New Member

May 13, 2009
    I have a slightly different question. I have a lifetime subscription that I can transfer once to a new Tivo. If I were to buy one now with a service subscription requirement, how would that work? Could I just transfer my lifetime subscription to the new Tivo, or would I have to pay for a year's monthly service, and then transfer?

7. Jun 7, 2011 #7 of 11
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    Lifetime is not tranferrable as far as I know. Not unless you have one of the 10 year old units from the early days of TiVo.

8. Jun 7, 2011 #8 of 11
    Hoc1

Hoc1 New Member

May 13, 2009
    I do.

9. Jun 7, 2011 #9 of 11
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Lifetime Xfer from a Series 1 that was activated with Lifetime Service by Jan 20th 2000 (I think that is the date) can use a one time Lifetime Xfer to another TiVo.

10. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    If you have a Series 1 that was grandfathered then, you probably need to call TiVo CS and ask what the story is.

11. Hoc1

Hoc1 New Member

May 13, 2009
    OK, thanks all. I called Tivo. The Premier XL box is going for $299 with a subscription. They told me that, because I was transferring my subscription, I would have to pay full price ($499) for the box. Plus free shipping via the Tivo strange shipping company.

So, I checked Amazon, which was selling the same box for $259 without the subscription, plus $3.99 for one-day shipping. I ordered it, got it today, called Tivo and transferred my subscription and I'm setting it up now.