QueryContainer can't find any container besides NowPlaying

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by bobdc, Jan 23, 2006.

1. bobdc

bobdc New Member

Jan 23, 2006

Advertisements

I can use the URL API to query NowPlaying information, but it can't find any other containers. When I pick "Music, Photos, and More" on the TiVo with the remote, I see "Bob's Music on BLACKDELL" and "Bob's Photos on BLACKDELL" as the first two choices (I picked that computer name to distinguish our new Dell from the off-white color of our old Dell), and I can retrieve pictures and music on the TV, but a TiVoConnect URL with a Command of QueryContainer can only find the NowPlaying container. (I tried showing example URLs here of what worked and what didn't, but the forum software won't let me add URLs.)

Is there something I need to do to get the photos and music to show up in the XML listings that I request with these URLs?

thanks,

Bob

2. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Your PC is serving those music and photos files to the TiVo, and the TiVo is serving the Now Playing list and video files to your PC. So there's a port on your pc serving the same data to the TiVo, off the top of my head I can't recall what # it is, but if you run a firewall it'll be listed either by application or port number or both.

/edit
    See the pdfs under TiVo Desktop Resources for more info:
    http://tivo.com/developer/

3. bobdc

bobdc New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    (Actually I'm serving the pictures and music from one PC and performing the queries from another, but they're all on my home network.) Does this mean that the TiVo itself isn't treating the pictures and music files as being in "containers" like the NowPlaying information is?

Of all of the material on the Developer Resources page, the Music and Photos Server Protocol Specification v1.1.0 looks like the most likely candidate for what you describe, but I've been reading it pretty closely for the last few days and it doesn't mention anything about ports. The other resources listed there are an Apache plugin and C-based SDKs for building apps.

thanks,

Bob

4. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Correct. So far, that is the only container that TiVo has opened up to the public. I assume(hope) that eventually there will be other containers (for things like the todo list, etc.).
    There's also this FAQ page that names the ports that TiVo uses and which must be open to allow proper communication between the TiVO and other LAN devices, I'm at work now, or I'd test, but connecting to one of these with your browser (or http-aware software) should allow you to retrieve the list from the PC serving the music and photos. e.g http://127.0.0.1:8080/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer

5. bobdc

bobdc New Member

Jan 23, 2006

Advertisements

That worked! I was about to ask why they even publish the Music and Photos Server Protocol Specification if they haven't opened any container besides NowPlaying to the public (many of its examples use music and picture files), and I tried a bunch of other ports, but then I tried 8080 as you suggested (with the rest of the TiVoConnect parameters and it worked. Now on to more playing...

thanks,

Bob