Queen's Gambit

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Family, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001

Advertisements

Haven't seen a thread on this. Completely enjoyed this one. One of the best series of the year for me.

Anyone else enjoy it?

2. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    8.9 on IMDb with many great reviews. I'll definitely be checking this one out. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought it was amazing. Both for how it makes chess visually interesting (they've been trying to make this for literally decades, and I suspect the fact that it revolves around a series of chess matches is a big part of why it took so long) and for Anna Taylor-Joy's performance.

With many bonus points for costume and set design (her transformation from K-Mart fashion victim to Vogue model is very well done!).

It's based on a Walter Tevis novel, which makes it kind of a sure thing...he also wrote The Hustler, Color of Money, and The Man Who Fell to Earth. I'm not sure there's another author who was so good at both mainstream fiction and sci-fi.

Snappa77 and Family like this.
  4. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    Loving it. Also loving how mostly accurate the chess it - especially since often the board isn’t even set correctly in most ads/shows. I was a tournament chess player in the late 60s to early 80s, so it’s a special treat for me.

The best real-world comparison is with Judit Polgar. Her parents decided they were going to make chess champions out of their three daughters, and they succeeded. Judit is regarded as the best female player ever.

5. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il

Advertisements

I enjoyed it as well, very well done. The use of visuals on the ceiling, intended to illustrate how someone thinks moves out (I guess), really added to the tension at various points. The interplay of Elizabeth with all the old men in the park was wonderful, a real tear jerker (for me, anyway.)

And does that young lady have eyes? Wow, mesmerizing.

6. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Barely made it through episode 1. Will try again.

7. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Couple of eps in. Oh yeah, this is excellent. I'll be through this by the end of the week.

The tournament in the second ep was great, I love scenes like this where the underdog comes from nowhere and shows up the arrogant champions.

Family likes this.
  8. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Just started and through 3 episodes. Really liking it so far.

9. Nov 1, 2020 #9 of 37
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Great show. So glad I watched it.

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Obviously they had to wait for Anna Taylor-Joy to be born and grow up to make the series!

(I would have picked an example other than "The Man Who Fell to Earth" to demonstrate his SF cred. I thought the movie failed to do justice to his book.)

I went to check "The Queen's Gambit" on Amazon, and discovered my first edition is selling for about $140! I'm rich!

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, I was talking about HIS sci-fi cred! And I'm pretty sure he wrote the book... ;)

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

Wasn't Queen's Gambit the name of Oliver Queen's father's boat?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  13. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Finished this last night... thought it was great! I had a few issues here and there but since this is not a spoiler thread I'll just say... well worth the time and thoroughly enjoyable!

14. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    I loved it, but I was a tournament chess player at about the same time as the show, so that would be expected. My wife, who doesn't even know how to play chess, loved it too, as did my daughter.

I kind of like that it's a (seemingly) one and done miniseries. I'm all for new series, but I'm often disappointed (gave up on so many, like This is Us, Kimmy Schmidt, Stranger Things) and right now I'd hate to be waiting for season 2 of anything.

15. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I'm down to the last episode and am thoroughly enjoying it! I especially loved the young actress who played her at the orphanage. What a find!

I had to google Benny as he looks so damn familair...he's from GoT! The kid who was traveling with Brandon and his sis to find the Three Eyed Raven.

Snappa77 likes this.
  16. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    What will really blow your mind is that the actor playing Harry was Dudley Dursely.

17. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    excellent but I was under the impression it was a true story but in fact it is not

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Nope. It's from a novel, by the great Walter Tevis.

19. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I watched the first episode and thought it was excellent. Looking forward to the rest.

20. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Quite a few ppl whose opinions I respect were talking about this on FB. I watched and enjoyed it tremendously. Very well done.