1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queen of the South Season Three *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jun 21, 2018.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    We're back... and it's like we never left. This show moves as fast as high quality heroin on a NYC street corner. And unlike some cable shows, where after a year hiatus you're lucky if you remember who's who, QotS just jumps right in, and it all comes back.

Kudos to Camilla Vargas for her restraint. You know she wanted to reach across the table and strangle that pendejo. "Just relax, woman"

Great start to the year.

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Welcome back, Queen Of The South!

Two things jumped out at me in the first episode:
    - "Pote" stands for "Potemkin"
    - After Vargas corrected Boaz (or the other guy) that he was a general now, not a colonel, Camilla refered to him as colonel in a conversation with her daughter. I'm guessing that slipped through the writers.

3. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Glad the show is back!

I missed the Potemkin reference. I think Vargas most definitely referred to him as a colonel on purpose. She feels superior in every way.

I immediately recognized the actress playing the niece pendejo (pendeja?) as the same one that played the police woman in Altered Carbon.

4. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Moving along quickly here. Poor Pote, got the crap beat out of him. I felt pretty good when he escaped his bonds, thinking "payback time!". Nope...

So James is back. Amazing how he turns up just in time to save her ass... twice! In the same episode!

The twists & intrigue of the Mexican/Sinaloa cartel is fascinating. The triangle of plotting between Camila, General (Colonel) Cortez and Boaz (what a character!) is a melange of backstabbing & deceit. Can't wait to see where it goes!

5. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    What the he*** happened to this show? It used to be so good. Now they're trying to be what, Miami Vice crossed with the Fast and the Furious?

6. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I'm still enjoying the fast paced action. However, there seems to be little connection to reality. It's like after the writers create a scene, if someone points out that certain things don't make sense, they just shrug their shoulders, and move on to the next scene.

For the last two or three weeks, there are several times during an episode where I think "How the heck did 'A' just lead to 'B'", but they have already moved on to "C". Suspension of disbelief is running overtime.

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    QotS is still "must watch the next day" tv for me but yeah, they're injecting noticeable amounts of stupid this season. It's like they have Teresa pull some hare brained scheme out of her butt every other episode and then move the chess pieces around to somehow make it come out in her favor. I don't know if it's a reflection of Alice Braga's acting ability or just the way her character is written but she's the most bland and uncharismatic leader on tv. I still get a chuckle out of how a drug smuggling operation with about three employees can be so threatening to well established cartels, but that's tv. It's also funny how Camilla can be governor but never seem to do any governing.

astrohip likes this.
  8. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Exactly! Camilla used to be an incredibly strong interesting female characters, ruling a large scale drug operation with an iron fist. now she's a barely competent figurehead being bamboozled with minimal effort? Just makes zero sense in the context of the show.