Queen Of The South - Anybody watching? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Jul 5, 2016 #1 of 38
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I had the first two episodes on the tivo and watched them yesterday. It's watchable so I'll give it a couple more episodes but I doubt if it'll ever be a same day watch or even a same week watch.

One thing for certain, USA definitely pushes the envelope when it comes to language. Suits has a cuss word every other minute and the premiere episode of this show was the first time I heard the word c*ck said on non-pay tv.

One thing I'm baffled by is that at the end of the first episode, the main character is captured in the Mexican desert. Somehow she is held captive in Dallas by the Mexican drug kingpin's wife at the beginning of the second episode. Did I fall asleep and miss the explanation of how she got to Dallas?

2. Jul 5, 2016 #2 of 38
    walkerism

walkerism The Clean Up Man

Aug 16, 2001
    Miami, FL
    Yes, I like it so far. They did explain how she got there. She ran away and ended up at a gas station. The owner called the Mexican lady who took her. It's entertaining for a summer show. I need a replacement for Rizzoli & Iles anyway :)

3. Jul 5, 2016 #3 of 38
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    That's the part that I misunderstood. I thought the guys who grabbed her worked for the future governor guy that she abandoned in the car. That seemed more logical than them working for the lady in Dallas.

4. Jul 6, 2016 #4 of 38
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I've been watching, and like it. Seems like an interesting story, and the acting is pretty darn good. I recall reading that it's based on a book (maybe a true story? not sure), and that book was made into a telenovela. This is an all new adaptation, based on the book (not the TN).

I also like that it's a mini-series, one season and done. Plus, we already know how it ends (assuming you watched the first minute).It appears that QotS is not a limited run mini-series.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  5. Jul 6, 2016 #5 of 38
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004

Advertisements

You obviously haven't been watching Not Safe with Nikki Glaser on Comedy Central. It rips the non-pay language envelope up and throws the pieces away.

http://www.cc.com/shows/not-safe-with-nikki-glaser

6. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I like this show. It's much more interesting than I thought it would be.

7. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Agree. Each week gets better. The slow burn face-off between Camila and Epifanio is really well played (and written).

Still wondering what's in that darn notebook!?!

8. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Just watched the Piloto today. Will probably burn through several more tonight and tomorrow.

9. Aug 2, 2016 #9 of 38
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I've now watched all six episodes that have aired so far. I thought I had heard this was a limited-run series - 13 episodes and done. But with the pace of the story so far, I'm having a hard time seeing her get to the point we saw at the beginning of the Pilot in just seven more episodes. Am I wrong about this being just a limited-run show?

10. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I don't know if it's alimited run but I wouldn't mind it if Camilla and Epifanio get their own spin off series next year.

11. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Just finished the first 6 episodes up last night. We really enjoy this show.

It is a little crazy how Camilla's warehouse works with the girls being held yet they seem to be able to pretty much whatever they want inside.

Also...Camilla keeps telling her that "I'd be sad if you died" stuff...yet she is sending her out on the most dangerous runs!

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Oh yeah, I wanted to comment on that. The first time we saw Teresa pull out her phone inside the warehouse, I thought, "Hide that thing! They're going to take it away!" And then she asks one of the other girls if she can borrow her phone! And the girl lets her!

I have always been under the impression that these drug worker/mules are essentially slaves that are being forced to work there. So I found it very odd that they allow these girls to have cell phones, to come and go as they please, to sleep until 3 pm, etc.

13. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    Maybe they want to treat them a little more humanely to breed a degree of loyalty. And then brutally kill one every now and then just to keep them in line. Yeah, that's it.

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So we're now more than halfway through the season (7/13) and this is still a story about Teresa being a pawn for other drug kingpins. Earlier in the thread it was discussed that this was a limited-event series and would be done after just 13 episodes. But I'm starting to wonder if that's true, given the way the plot is progressing. Does anyone have a definitive link to something stating that this is a one-and-done series?

Edit: This review of the pilot says "The pilot of “Queen of the South,” whose 13-episode first season begins on Thursday . . ."

The Telemundo telenovela that this show is based on ran for 63 episodes in 2011.

I'm thinking the idea that this is a limited-run show is wrong and that USA intends to run this for as long as it can, just like any other TV series.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  15. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I would agree. I don't really think standard networks would invest in something that could only go for one season.

16. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I've edited my post above where I said it's a mini-series.

17. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    For the person that questioned "language" on "non-pay" channels, I don't know about you, but I pay for USA and all channels on satellite (or cable). I'm pretty sure only OTA channels are covered by language standards. It's just that most non-movie channels choose to limit the language. But USA threw that out the window a couple years ago when they let loose with all the "sh**s" on Suits. I don't mind adult language at all, but Suits seems to go out of their way anymore and it is too obvious. If I hear them say "sh*t the bed" one more time, I think i'll scream.

18. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Even with all the "sh*ts" on Suits, there are still some words they don't use or if they do, they get bleeped. The pilot of this show used a word I'd never heard on basic cable unbleeped. A couple of weeks later, the season 2 premiere of Mr. Robot went further with liberal use of unbleeped f-bombs on basic cable.

I'm not complaining, just noting.

19. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Another great episode. This show doesn't sit still for long.

Brenda is a piece of work.

20. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Teresa has now definitely crossed a line. A few episodes ago, she was very disturbed that they had to sit there and watch the rival dealer murder someone. And now she's just murdered someone herself. She could claim self-defense since he was going for his gun, but it's still murder. And I'll bet she left fingerprints all around the hotel room, and she left the maid/witness alive. That's sure to be a problem.

And how do we know the Miami guy didn't call his people between the ambush and getting back to the hotel to tell them Camilla Vargas' people robbed them? If the writers of this show are good, then this Miami situation is definitely not over.