Quality of THD over SD DirecTivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mikesown, Oct 13, 2007.

1. mikesown

mikesown New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    I have a pretty crappy TV. Well, not exactly crappy, but a CRT SDTV. It's a CRT 27" Sony WEGA. Right now, I have a DirecTivo hooked up to the S-Video in. The TV has a component input, but only up to 480i. Should I expect any significant quality difference of the quality of the picture using 480i component(from an HD picture) versus S-Video(on my DirecTivo, from an SD signal)?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. zaknafein

zaknafein Shorthanded

Jul 17, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    There is marked improvement. An HD signal, even downrezed to 480i, still looks pretty damn good compared to a standard definition signal. I've seen it first hand, and upgrading to component will give you some improvement in color saturation.

In fact, I did almost exactly the same thing for about 2 years: HD DVR outputing 480i to a 27" CRT display over component video. I finally upgraded to an HD display about 6 months ago.

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I also saw an improvement in most of my SD channels switching to WOW cable. DTV's compression has caught up with them.

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I definitely saw an improvement in the SD channels when I hooked up my TiVo HD to a 11-year-old RCA tube that had only S-video. And that was before I switched from analog cable to digital.