Qns about HD boxes... (differences,etc)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jeffw_00, Sep 22, 2007.

1. jeffw_00

jeffw_00 Member

Sep 19, 2000

Advertisements

Hi - I've been off-forum for a few years now (my needs well-taken care of by my venerable HDR-312 and (less so), by my MOT-6412 (COMCAST dual-tuner HD box)), but the new Tivo HD boxes are catching my attention. I've done some reading and lurking, and I guess there are two things I'm wondering.

1) Are there any features on the newer, lower-cost model that are missing from the original 300-hr model?

2) What's the general hardware quality of these boxes? Any design defects yet? High return-rate, etc...

3) has the SW stablized yet?

4) If, hypothetically, I wanted to put in a bigger disk or other "light" hack, did they take any steps to make these more "closed" than prior models? (which can be a negative because honest users can also trip over "security" measures)

In all honestly, I'll probably wait a month and see if the COMCAST Tivo software comes and, and if it's any good (my personal suspicion is that the limitations of the MOT box will make it more of a "Tivo Lite" app), but then I'll be well posed to look for the xmas bargains....

Thanks very much!
    /j

2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    Actually the THX certifacation is missing from the TivoHD(the new one)

3. jeffw_00

jeffw_00 Member

Sep 19, 2000
    how important is that, and is that the only thing?

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The differences between the TivoHD and Series 3 are mostly superficial. The big practical differences is the Series 3 has a higher end remote, an OLED display, and a 250GB drive, while the TiVoHD has the cablecard slots on the front for easy access, M-card compatible now (the S3 should get that leater) but only a 160 GB drive.

As for hacks, TiVos made since mid 2004 (5xx and up TSN) have PROM level security, so without modding the PROM, the only real "hack" is upgrading the drive, which to date TiVo has not really limited.

Generally though, the average user has no need to so software hacks on their TiVos, as some of the core hacks are now offical TiVo features.

5. jeffw_00

jeffw_00 Member

Sep 19, 2000

Advertisements

thx

2) What's the general hardware quality of these boxes? Any design defects yet? High return-rate, etc...

3) has the SW stablized yet?

6. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    1. It supports M-Card so you can use one CableCARD while the original S3 doesn't support M-Card so you need two cards.

2. They're solid boxes, I haven't heard of return issues.

3. Well, it just released - so not really. It shipped with 8.1.7 and it is running 8.1.7c2 now, which is bug fix. 9.1 has just started test releasing.

4. Upgrading the disk is still trivially easy.

But you'd best look in the Series3 forum since there are numerous threads comparing the two models.

7. jeffw_00

jeffw_00 Member

Sep 19, 2000
    oh - ok - thanks