QAM tuning - 345 channels?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dig_duggler, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1 of 16
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL

Advertisements

I'm ditching my cablecards since my provider can't get the 2nd one working in my Series 3. I have an antenna for OTA, but wanted to see what the QAM tuner picked up, even though I can't get guide data. It found a whopping 345 channels. However, I'm seeing no video on most of these. I'm pretty sure it is, but is the only way to sift through this manually and see what I get? I already found a few that should be encrypted (like Mojo HD) but it's a big list.

Any ideas?

2. Jul 3, 2008 #2 of 16
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Very likely there are 75-100 music channels that you may or may not be able to hear.

There will also probably be 40-50 channels dedicated to your neighborhood VOD. You will be able to watch whatever VOD your neighbors are paying for (but have no control),

There will also be a host of blank channels with nothing on (or maybe encrypted).

However, your number seems large, so you may luck out with more unencrypted HD than most usually get (locals only).

3. Jul 3, 2008 #3 of 16
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Yeah, there is a whoooole lot of junk. I'm not much better off after going through it all. All locals + Mojo HD.

4. Jul 4, 2008 #4 of 16
    vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Silver Lining Dept.:

Everything I've recorded off of MOJO disappears after two hours. Since you are operating in clear QAM mode, anything you record manually will not be so limited, although I guess you'll have to use the web to figure out MOJO's schedulr.

5. Jul 4, 2008 #5 of 16
    LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

Advertisements

When I had my S3 hooked up to comcast in Southern New Hampshire I got more channels then that even, but all were encrypted. Well, almost.

All I got was Fox 25 HD, and CBS 4 HD. The only two other clear QAM channels were PPV Previews and NBA Pass Preview and nothing more.

The reason the other locals did not come in, was the university I was at had a notch filter, and had Local Access Channels on top of the cable system on channels 71 - 82 blocking the Clear QAM channels for the other Locals. Plugged directly into the cable system there, in front of the Notch Filter, which I got to do once as I worked for the A/V department as work study for 2 years only yielded All the Locals in HD and SD and the Preview channels, nothing more. No music channels, no seeing what other people are watching on demand, no basic cable channels. Comcast encrypts everything but what they are not required to by law.

As an added know, once when talking to a Comcast Tech, they told me what I was doing, watching digital channels of locals, was not possible with out a cable box and what I was doing probably wasn't legal. That was before I had my TiVo and was Using My Laptops built in HDTV Tuner which also supports clear QAM, lol.

It really depends on the cable company you have. If it's comcast or any other major player, your not going to get anything but the locals. If its smaller independent cable providers, there are some cases where everything, including HBO has been found to be in the clear qam.

6. Jul 4, 2008 #6 of 16
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I have Brighthouse, but they are sloppy. Some on the avs forums have reported ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD from time to time. I just hope they don't move the networks around frequently.

Oh yeah, I do get the PPV Previews channel. I watched it for a disturbingly long time :)

7. Jul 4, 2008 #7 of 16
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I have Charter, and since I have split the cable with one going to the TiVo, and the other direct to the TV (for guests), I decided to run a channel search on my Sony TV which has an ATSC/QAM tuner.

The Sony detected 222 digital channels, but as mentioned above only the OTA locals, along with a handful of foreign language channels, are clear QAM. The rest are encrypted.

8. Jul 4, 2008 #8 of 16
    ogre73

ogre73 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Maine
    Here in Southern Maine with Comcast, I had an experience similar to dig_duggler's. When I first got my HDTV (it was a surprise to me, to be honest; otherwise I would have arranged for HD programming in advance), I noticed that it had a built-in QAM tuner. I scanned with it, and I was able to pick up all of the locals, the other channels that people are listing, plus I had the on demand that others were watching in my apartment building (at least). In order to see those, though, I had to channel surf through tons of blank screens. That was just downright inconvenient. And frustrating when they decided to pause, rewind, or stop watching. Besides, even though I didn't know who it was, somehow I still felt dirty when watching somebody else's viewing habits. ;)

9. Jul 5, 2008 #9 of 16
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    With a name like ogre you couldn't have felt too bad.:)

10. cybah

cybah Tivo Addict

Mar 3, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just stumbled upon this too.

I JUST got my Tivo HD today, and I am waiting for Comcast to come deliver the cable cards on Wednesday (Today is Saturday)

Since the Tivo HD doesnt support a cable box, I directly connected the coax from the wall to the TV during setup in anticipation of the CableCards.

Well. After guided setup was done, I got what I was suppose to get from the standard analog cable, which isnt much. I am in the city of boston, and you are REQUIRED to get rent the box to get anything beyond local, public access, religous, infomercialtv, and international channels. All of these channels were in the Standard Def formats.

So just for giggles, after reading and reading how the Tivo HD's turner is a real digital tuner, and supports unencrypted digital cable (yeah I didnt know!), I re-scanned all my channels. (why it didnt do it in the first place I'll never know!)

I went from 20 or so channels to over 325 or so. Many of them were digital sub-channels (i.e. 7.1, 7.2, etc)

Of course I got all my regular analog channels that I got before, and their digital counter parts (if they had them)

Some of the channels were oddly numbers, like our CW Station was on channel 122.12 (yes really!) and not on its respected 14 (on the analog side).

No PPV Movies, No Free Stations I wasn't suppose to get. Dang. (Athough I havent scrolled thru all of them yet)

In one respect it kinda ticks me off that this WORKS if Comcast wouldn't encrypt some of the 'standard' cable channels. (As they do for the analog side in other municipalities in the Metro Boston area), because I could save me a boat load of money! (instead of box/cablecard rentals and digital add-ons!)

This makes me think twice about having digital cable at all since I really don't need the cable card to get these channels, and I've been thinking about dropping digital cable (since I watch mostly air stations and just have cable for better reception)

However, the lack of working guide data on the digital subchannels for the local stations (i.e. 7.2) would turn me off to it. I assume this is because Tivo gets its channel lineup from an official source (Tribune I think?) and this is sorta "unofficial". Not having this information makes the Tivo almost useless (not totally impossible, just very hard!)

But an interesting feature if I ever decide to drop Digital Cable.

11. DeathRider

DeathRider New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Boston Area RCN
    cybah, that's why many TiVo owners want to be able to remap the channels themselves...

12. cybah

cybah Tivo Addict

Mar 3, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah I was just thinking that. That would be a very nice feature. Even "generic" national listings where you could assign them ot a certian channel would be great also.

Tivo are you listening? :)

13. cybah

cybah Tivo Addict

Mar 3, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tivo HD Questions

I wanted to update to this thread incase people are interested.

After scanning the channels with my new HDTV, I did find other things that were not encrypted by Comcast. As many users reported, I can see PPV movies that people order (not just regular movies, but Adult movies (yes really!)).

When Comcast came to install the CableCard, I asked the technician about this.

First off he was a bit suprised, but he's heard this before. This was his response.

He says that this happens because of the way my building is wired, there is not a trap on my wire to block the PPV signals from coming in. He says that in apartment buildings, like mine, there should be a trap to stop all of this, however Comcast usually does not put the traps on until someone in the building orders HDTV service. So I must be the first person with a HDTV in my building.

He said he wasn't going to put a trap up because "I ain't gonna pull the ladder off the truck and open up the box of worms in the back of your building just to put a trap on" (our wiring box is high up on the backside of my apartment building, and its a MESS, so I do understand somewhat).

Isn't that nice of Comcast.. shear laziness! Then again he was a contractor for Comcast.

So free adult movies for me! (of course considering most people who order them only watch them for 10 minutes or so.. LOLOL)

14. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Or every time someone else ordered HD the installer looked at the can of worms and felt as yours did.

15. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I love just paying $10/mo to Comcast to get lifeline which includes the clear QAM HD locals.

16. cybah

cybah Tivo Addict

Mar 3, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know. I'm debating on doing that myself if I find I am not watching enough of the Digital Bronze Package. although i saw the food network was in HD now... :)