Q3 2012 TiVo Inc Earnings Conference Call

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, Nov 22, 2011.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Would listen but I will be stuck at work. I might try to listen later tonight when they put up the recording.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I see they are back over 2 million subribers with a net increase of 117K subscribers in the third quarter. They still had an EBITDA loss of 13.8 million but at least the increase in subscribers finally reverses a downward trend that has been going on for several years.

Although the sub additions came from MSOs. They had 147K MSO additions and a 30K loss of TiVo owned subscriptions. Giving them a net of 117K. But either way it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully the sub addition increase even more in the fourth quarter.

4. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    This is gonna really put a crimp in the TiVo death watch. :D

Subscriptions up and TiVo owned churn is down. Grand and ONO launching, with DirecTV, Comcast, and Charter finally close to launch. AT&T suit proceedings start in January. Very positive quarter for TiVo.

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Good Tivo news.....it's been a LONG time. :)

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I doubt TiVo makes the same money on a MSO customer that they do with a retail customer, and the MSO can toss TiVo in the future (happened before). What I just said makes it hard to judge the value of the subscriber base, but it is a better showing that the last few years.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    Is there even any time left on comcast or directv deals? So they finally have products but they can ditched in a year again?

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    We can't really judge the additional MSO subscriptions without knowing the net gain/loss for the specific MSO. I would guess that many of those new Tivo MSO subscriptions came from customers trading in their non Tivo DVR, which would be a wash for the MSO but a gain for Tivo.

Is the MSO going to impose a sales quota on Tivo? If so, what happens if Tivo doesn't meet their quota?

9. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    TiVo makes significantly less on an MSO customer than a retail customer but doesn't have to deal with subscriber acquisition costs and in general doesn't provide first level support. TiVo will be able to leverage the significantly growing sub-base for additional advertising deals which will help the bottom-line.

10. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Per Rogers, 40% of the Virgin Media TiVo customers were new subscribers which seems like a pretty good number. I don't believe there are any sales quotas on TiVo since TiVo is essentially providing the middleware for VMED.

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It sort of reminds me of when Jim Kramer upgraded the Bluth family stock to "Don't Buy" on Arrested Development