Q1 2012 TiVo Inc Earnings Conference Call

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, May 24, 2011.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Davis Freeberg on twitter usually follows along live blogging if you have any interest in and can't listen live. They also will upload the call after so you can just listen.

3. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    • TiVo reports Net Income of $139.0 million and Adjusted EBITDA of $149.4 million; highest quarterly profit in the Company's history
    • Historic half billion dollar settlement with DISH Network underscores the value of TiVo's intellectual property
    • Mass distribution strategy begins to yield positive results as MSO/Broadcaster subscription trends improve
    • TiVo continues to team with operators of all sizes through variety of advanced television deals, new Comcast agreement most recent highlight
    • Hulu Plus launched, building on the best combination of linear and broadband content in the market

4. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I cant be the only one who think its sad that we only got the Hulu update because this was coming

5. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Highest quarterly profit in the Company's history? What about subscriptions? Less? More?

6. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Yeah, I think it's sad. We waited 8 months and then got a half-assed, tacked-on implementation.

7. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I am guessing those numbers are just off the earnings report which is usually available shortly before the call. It doesn't look like Davis is blogging this one so may have to wait and see what people report after the call.

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Total subs fell from 2.05 million to 1.96 million.

Fewest losses per quarter in many years.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think the DirecTV people are finally all gone and the current subs are reflecting the real standalone users. For a while DirecTV users made up over 1/2 of all TiVo subs, then DirecTV dumped TiVo and their sub numbers have been dropping like a rock ever since. I think they've finally hit the bottom and now the sub numbers are going to start to level out. In fact if that new DirecTV unit actually hits the shelves sometime soon they might even start to go back up. Although from what I hear DirecTV's own DVR has gotten pretty advanced in the most recent generation, so the TiVo name may not be as much of a draw as it once was.

Dan

10. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    Other interesting things said:
    • New DirecTiVo is in testing with Direct TV. Hopeful it would launch soon.
    • Development is continuing on the Best Buy Insigina platform.

11. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Interesting notes from the press release:

"Excluding the impact from the DISH Network past damages and related settlement costs, TiVo's Adjusted EBITDA loss would have exceeded the high-end of the guidance range. "

"During the first quarter, we spent time taking what we know is a unique product offering and assessing various pricing and messaging points to ensure we put our best marketing foot forward. Consequently, we spent 60% less marketing in the quarter as compared to the same period last year as we continued to assess the best path forward. This testing is to ensure that dollars are spent wisely and efficiently."

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    IIRC, in Q&A, Rogers steadfastly defended the $20/mo sub rate as competitive with Cable Co offerings, even taking into account CableCARD rental costs and the $99 TiVo purchase cost. He may be right in general, although not for me personally. $129/yr is my limit. My TiVo doesn't tune SDV channels reliably -- a problem known to TiVo for years and reported by numerous posters. I'm not willing to pay more for this level of unreliability, or for the reduced content available using OTA only.

TiVo blames the tuning failures on the Cable equipment (e.g., Tuning Adapter) and the Cable Co doesn't have a clue. If any of these highly touted MSO deals involve still using a Tuning Adapter (hopefully they don't), they better fix this.

13. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
  14. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    No, the MSO deals generally use TiVo's IP back-channel IP mechanism for two-way communication.

Have you filed a complaint with the FCC about tuning adapter reliability? They say that they want to hear about this stuff.

15. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I really wish on these Q/As they would push on some of their questions.

For example one question mentioned multiroom viewing. Rogers said he couldn't comment on DirecTV of course since that would be up to DirecTV to comment, but then goes on to say that TiVo has had MRV for a long time. The person asking a question asked a follow-up but I was really hoping he would point out that the current solution doesn't work or compete with most of the other options out there for a majority of subscribers both on the stand alone box and also on the MSO side.

They did mention the multiroom setup and non-dvr box but it really sounds more like it is for cable companies. This doesn't mean it won't be for retail, just that it wasn't designed for retail.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yeah, I even started a thread urging complaints to the FCC, in which you participated!

How ironic after all the resistance MSO's put up in those FCC filings to the IP back-channel mechanism.:( They are OK with it when it fits their business plan. To me this just illustrates that trying to regulate things that go against business plans is like pushing water uphill. With enough effort you can do it, but will you commit enough effort? And is it worth it?

17. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Right! Sorry, forgot that was your thread. Yes, cable really doesn't want a reliable mechanism for third party access to their content. Even if the FCC didn't recognize that in the CableCard proceedings maybe they'll catch on in the Allvid process. For that to happen people need to start filing complaint forms for tuning adapter an cable card problems.

Remember that the complaint process is completely separate from the proceedings process. That round of CC proceedings are history. For any improvement in the future we have to start establishing an on-going record of problems with CableCard and Tuning Adapters.

18. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010

That 60% less in marketing $$ went to the litigation costs of the Echostar/Dish suit. :). Those litigation costs were a massive burden upon TiVo which simply meant less money to spend in other good places, not some sort of trumped up new efficiencies or successful strategy.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you know if you keep saying that enough times you might even believe it yourself.

20. MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    Tom Rogers needs to go.