[Q] Lifetime service..

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bwilliams, Jul 17, 2011.

1. bwilliams

bwilliams New Member

Jul 23, 2008
    I was just talking to a TiVo Sales person, I was informed that I cannot purchase lifetime service if I purchase the Premiere from anyone other than TiVo themselves..

My situation, I've had service since 11-2000, I currently have a TiVoHD with lifetime service..

This makes no sense to me, why would it matter where I buy it?

can anyone chime in and give me some insight?

Thanks.

2. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    Bought mine from Amazon last year. Looked at my Tivo account and lifetime is an option after my 1st year is up. So unless something has changed in their service contracts, I'd guess that someone is blowing smoke....

3. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    My understanding is that was the old policy, when there were 2 prices.
    ($299 at Tivo and $99 at retail)

Tivo simplified the pricing to $99 everywhere and started offering lifetime
    to everyone....

I can't be sure as I need a Tivo TSN just to check online if this is an option when activating.

4. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    You should be able to buy your Tivo anywhere and add lifetime to it from the Tivo website. That's the new policy.

5. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    What is the current price delta between a unit bought from Tivo and one bought else where?

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You were mis-informed.
    Product lifetime service is not now nor has it ever been dependent on place of purchase.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    but there were limitations on being able to get PLS for the subsidized machines for about a year, however as far as I know that's currently not a factor

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I purchased a extra TP from Amazon when they had them for a day at about $50, never took it out of the box, I just tried to activate this TiVo on my account and was given two options $14.95/month or $399 for Lifetime Service. So all is as it should be.

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Your TiVo customer service experience is not surprising. There are many stories where someone has talked to different reps and got different results.
    Some are more helpful/knowledgeable than others.
    It's just a matter of playing CSR roulette.

10. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I bought the Premiere about 4 weeks ago from Amazon (actually J&R Electronics through Amazon) for $60. I bought lifetime service from an Ebay seller for $450 before the TP arrived so as to take advantage of a 10% off coupon from PayPal that would expire before the unit would arrive. Was really nervous about that purchase.

Happy to say, when the unit arrived, I e-mailed the Ebay seller with the hardware ID and he immediately activated the lifetime service. By the time I got everything hooked up, including the cable card which I also picked up before the unit arrived, and powered up the TP, it happily reported that it was on a lifetime service.

Bottom line, even through this out of the ordinary path the lifetime service is available for a unit purchased from a third party. At least as of a month ago.

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you bought lifetime service from a 3rd party for $49.99 less than what TiVo would have charged I wonder if perhaps he paid TiVo $399.99 for it as a Multi-Set Discount based on another TiVo he owns, which would make your Tivo part of his account rather than the only TiVo on your account. I'd think such an arrangement may well have some hidden pitfalls.

12. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I sure he will now move his Lifetime Service to is own TiVo account, and if the E-Bay seller did pay TiVo $399 and got $450, paid E-Bay/PayPal about $30 to $35 in fees he did not make much.

13. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    And you'd be right. I did contact customer service to transfer the service to my account. But customer service had no problem with that.

There was a hidden pitfall when TiVo sent me an offer for 6 months of Hulu Plus. I could not take advantage of that. There was a disconnect somewhere that I couldn't get resolved.

However, the Ebay seller sent me a link to get a 1 week trial. And Honestly, I only needed a 1 hour trial to see that Hulu Plus offers nothing to me. Monthly subscription fee and commercials? No thanks. :)

14. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE Member

Oct 13, 2009
    "Middle of...
    I just purchased a Premier XL from Amazon and put lifetime on it last night.

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So those of us eligible for MSD on lifetime subs can sell those subs to other people without ever owning the unit itself? And then the new owner can move the hardware/subscription combination to their own account and off of our's? Can we do that over and over again without hitting the 5 MSD limit?

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Does that mean that you already had a TiVo account?

17. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Sort of. I created an account before contacting CS, but it wasn't the result the of making an online purchase as is more typical.

18. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I mean did you already own a previous TiVo of any model on which you either had lifetime or were or had been making monthly subscription payments?

Because I don't understand how someone can have a TiVo account without ever having had a TiVo and having in some fashion paid for service on same.

19. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I'm saying that I created the account from the web site without any purchase at that time or previously. So, no, I have never previously owned anything TiVo or made any purchase through tivo.com directly.

In preparation for the arrival of the unit, I went to the TiVo site to investigate what I had to do to enable programming the unit through the web site, MyTivo if you will. In poking around into that, found a page to create an account. I do remember that the link to the account creation page was somewhat obscure.

I don't remember more detail than that, unfortunately. It's there, or at least it was about a month ago!

20. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I should point out that I am not aware that this is true. In fact, my assumption (not even being aware of the MSD at the time of purchase) was that the Ebay seller was reselling licenses bought in bulk from TiVo at discount and resold at profit. The Ebay seller offers a lot of TiVo hardware, both upgraded and not if i recall, so it seems reasonable that there is a business relationship.

I'd exercise an abundance of caution before making that conclusion.

Or to put it another way, I'm not going to try that!

:)