Q / Elite Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by one.person, Jun 29, 2011.

1. one.person

one.person New Member

May 16, 2008
    Assuming one of these boxes makes it to my market, which is Cox in Phoenix, would it eliminate the need for a tuning adapter given that they are designed for digital cable only?

Thanks

2. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Since Cox in Phoenix is using Switched Digital Video (SDV), a Tuning Adapter is still required for the TiVo Elite if you want to receive the SDV channels.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=408087

3. one.person

one.person New Member

May 16, 2008
    I see, so it has nothing to do with whether the cable is all digital or not, the SDV issue is separate from that.

Ugh, I have a Tivo HD with a tuning adapter now. I don't have tons of problems with it like some others report, but I was hoping to be able to get rid of it with an upgrade to a potential Q or Elite.

It might be even worse now that I think through it. I'm not totally positive on this, but if the tuning adapter is required I think my current one only supports 2 channels, so I would either need another one (double ugh) or a new 4 tuner capable model.

Sigh....

4. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yep. I have a TiVo HD and a Series 3, both with Cisco TAs. They were really awful initially but recent firmware upgrades on the TAs and on the TiVo side have improved the performance quite a bit. It still isn't perfect and its annoying having another 15W box sitting on top of my TiVo's.

The FCC has mandated that your MSO support 4-channel's on the TA no later than August 1st. I'm guessing that we will see a firmware upgarde pushed to the Cisco TA.