PytivoX sends HD videos to TiVo HD but only SD to Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by geekmorgan, Feb 1, 2012.

1. geekmorgan

geekmorgan New Member

Sep 30, 2009

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I've had a TiVo HD for a couple of years and I've been transferring HD videos to it using pytivoX (OS X) no problem for ages. Picked up a TiVo Premiere this summer and every time I try to copy an HD movie from my Mac it gets downconverted to SD.

The same files always get sent in HD (tried 720 and 1080, avi, quicktimes and MKV) when I browse my Mac and download them to TiVo HD but the premiere only gets a downconverted SD file.

All other programming in HD works fine in the Premiere (Cable, Netflix, podcasts, amazon)

Is this an issue with pytivo (v1.3) or the premiere? (v20.3)

2. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
  3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Wait, do you really have 20.3, or is that a typo?

Anyway, pyTivo prior to March 3rd, 2010 didn't recognize a Premiere as an HD unit, and treated it like a Series 2. Unfortunately pyTivoX has not been kept up to date.

4. geekmorgan

geekmorgan New Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Yes, sorry, I'm on 20.2. I proof-read my post twice and still missed it.

So you're saying it's an issue with the OS X port of pytivo?

Would I have better luck with the windows version? I've got some old PC parts I could cobble together into a system...

Version 1.3 of pytivoX was released in August 2009 so it's definitely behind. There's a Beta from September 2010 I'll try out.

5. geekmorgan

geekmorgan New Member

Sep 30, 2009

Advertisements

Success!! I found the Beta of PytivoX (1.4.1b) seems to send the video as HD. Works with a QuickTime and an .MKV

That's so much for pointing me in the right direction. It's too bad the Mac version is behind and they seem to hide the Beta version. Roxio Mac2TiVo was no help either.

Thanks again. I used to transfer videos to the TiVo HD in the bedroom then copy it to the Premiere. What a timesaver.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm pretty sure most versions of pyTiVo would work but you have to edit the configuration to recognize the Premiere's as supporting HD. At least I did this a long time ago and it worked fine.

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    pyTivoX is not "the OS X port of pyTivo". It's pyTivo + Streambaby + a GUI front-end. Similarly, there is no Windows version of pyTivo. pyTivo is a cross-platform, interpreted program, the same on all OSes. (There are a few Windows-specific tweaks, but they're code paths that are chosen at run time.) You can run pyTivo on a Mac without the pyTivoX front end. I do.