PyTivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by KENL, May 13, 2020.

1. KENL

KENL New Member

Dec 16, 2008

Advertisements

Does anybody know if PyTivo works fully with the Edge? Thanks

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    My understanding is no that uploads from the PC to the TiVo do not work, but downloads from the TiVo to the PC do work.

Scott

3. kenstir

kenstir New Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Do you have any direct knowledge that transfer from pyTivo to the TiVo Edge works or does not work?

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    PC -> TiVo transfers don't work on any TiVo model running TE4, AFAIK (no, I don't have personal experience of that, only countless testimonies to that effect), and the Edge only runs TE4 (again, AFAIK). The Edge additionally broke TiVo -> PC, I'm told, but I think that's been fixed.

kenstir likes this.
  5. kenstir

kenstir New Member

Oct 14, 2010

Advertisements

I guess that means I stick with Roamio and TE3 for now.

Thanks, wmcbrine (and thank you so much for your work on pyTivo, which I repackaged for QNAP)!

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have one TiVo running TE4 and I can confirm that PC -> TiVo does NOT work. The shares don’t even show up in the UI so there is no way to even start a transfer.

I don’t have an Edge so I can’t test TiVo -> PC but I've been told by a couple pyTivo Desktop users that it was fixed in an update a while back.

kenstir likes this.
  7. Aug 1, 2020 #7 of 12
    kenstir

kenstir New Member

Oct 14, 2010
    But wait, I forgot about Plex. If Plex works on the Edge, then one can transfer videos from the PC by running a Plex Server, right? The Plex app on my Roamio is crap slow, but maybe just maybe it's decent on an Edge.

8. Aug 1, 2020 #8 of 12
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can stream with Plex, not transfer. But yes that is a viable option for watching videos stored on a PC on a TiVo and works relatively well in my tests. (I don’t use it regularly, but have tested by watching a couple of movies)

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Try going to the network tab and setting zeroconf to off. Sometimes that works.

10. rtoledo

rtoledo Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Los Angeles...
    was it the Rollings Stones that said " getting old is a drag ". windows firewall has become a pain in my neck. I have no idea what i ck'd but i swear is showed pitivo and 2 rules were inactive, so i activated them. after i posted this I went back cause soamething kept telling me , it's a firewall issue. well I added new rules on the main screen that first pop's up under inbound and outbound and added it , it was not there ??? now it works !

11. jraymonds

jraymonds New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Hoping to see a solution to this somewhere down the road but just confirming the above...

Edge TE4: TiVo->PC good. PC->TiVo no go — doesn't even show in devices.
    BOLT TE3: TiVo->PC good. PC->TiVo good.

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's not an Edge specific problem, it's a Hydra/TE4 issue. And unfortunately I talked to someone at TiVo a few months ago about it and he said they have no plans to bring this back. From their perspective TiVo Desktop is dead and they have no reason to invest any effort into adding that feature to the new UI.

justen_m likes this.