pyTivo Streambaby HME/VLC - Streaming to TiVo (not transfer)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Sparky1234, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006

Advertisements

Please point me to the correct forum if this is not the right one.

Is it possible to stream video from a PC to a TiVo Premiere? I have pytivo and TiVo Desktop Pro up and running flawlessly but both transfer to/from TiVo. I use kmttg v2.0v for TiVo season pass back ups and transfers from TiVo to PC. I would like to stream the video in a Samsung AllShare like method. AllShare uses DLNA to stream video and I think I understand the TiVo HME differences...

Does Streambaby, HME/VLC, or some other software truly stream video from PC to TiVo?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Streambaby and HME/VLC both do actual streaming, yes.

3. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Which do you prefer / use for streaming?

4. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't, really; I use pyTivo. But, I am the author of HME/VLC, so. :)

The trouble with HME/VLC is 1) Severe regressions in VLC have rendered that part of it useless, and 2) The kind of online streaming sources I originally wrote it for have largely dried up, in favor of Flash viewers. But, it still works for RSS-based video podcasts in MP4 format, and for files on the local server (the only thing Streambaby does). However, it doesn't work great for those local files, and I've never really felt the need for streaming over transferring. If I did, I'd probably update HME/VLC to work more like Streambaby. :)

5. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006

Advertisements

Streambaby is up and running.... had to install Java ver 6 with Java 8 already installed to get it working. Dual javas now installed. Very difficult to manage large PC video database. Streams ok. I still like Samsung AllShare solution but if you are looking for a TiVo only based streaming solution then Streambaby works.

6. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I believe DLNA Is one of the new features of the Bolt. I've read nothing that says so specifically, however some of the descriptive material would seem to imply that it's more supported

7. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Anyone with a Bolt care to comment on the quality of the DLNA video and audio? Streambaby audio and video quality are standard definition of HD content - noticeable down sampling. AllShare through a Samsung TV displays the original content cleanly and clearly.

8. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    As indicated, I don't really use Streambaby, but when you talk about Java 6, I suspect you must be using an outdated version, from before moyekj basically restarted development recently. Get the latest version from SourceForge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/streambaby/files/

not the dead project on Google Code that comes up as the first search result.

And no, I don't think the Bolt has added DLNA support. I'm curious where this idea comes from. I'll be happy to be shown wrong.

9. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Running Streambaby version 46 which is the most current. Had most current version of Java 8 running but TiVo timed out with error v301 until I installed Java 6. Both 6 and 8 are running on my W7 pro pc. Now that Streambaby is running I might uninstall J6 to see if SB will continue to work.

I did read that the FCC requires that TiVo be DLNA compliant in 2017.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  10. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Deleted Java ver 6 and streambaby is still working fine. During the java troubleshooting process I installed java 6 with java 8 and unblocked / enabled java in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I believe that unblocking / enabling java in my browsers was the fix to get streambaby working.

Next I want to try Plex to see how it compares.

It's a whole new world of TiVo streaming for me!

Here is the link to the FCC TiVo DLNA issue:
    http://www.multichannel.com/news/next-tv/fcc-grants-tivo-pass/390843

11. Damiansnpvp4

Damiansnpvp4 Member

Feb 6, 2015
    ------

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
    Yippee.... Streambaby is back & the fix for the One Moment / V301 is a needed Java 6 update 43 http://www.oldapps.com/java.php?old_java=11928
    I had Java 8 & not sure what happened to 6, maybe Java 8 update killed it. I uninstalled Java 8 & installed Java 6 http://www.oldapps.com/java.php?old_java=11928 Now I'm not sure if I need Java 8 for something else, or maybe I had an error 32 bit instead of 64 bit. Not even sure if I could run both if I need Java 8 again, but at least Streambaby is working now. If I need Java 8 I can test test test & if fail, I know where to come back. Just noticed that although I'm running 64 bit, it is better to use the 32 bit version.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016