pyTivo / Python

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Slope, May 26, 2011.

1. Slope

Slope New Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Charlotte,...
    I installed Python 2.7.1 because all the instructions I found said that 3.x wouldn't work. When I try to run the windows installer it says that Python is not installed. Do I need to use an older version?? I would link to the instructions I'm using, but I don't have enough posts yet. It's the one titled "Scott Soapbox".

Thanks in advance for all your help. I got my Premiere hard drives updated, now I'm looking forward to get this going as well.

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    First of all, don't use the Windows installer. Secondly, why don't you jump over to this thread?

3. Slope

Slope New Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Charlotte,...
    The wikki tells me to use the windows installer. This is the piece that doesn't work.

4. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I wish someone with editing privileges for the wiki would blast off all traces of the Windows installer. These days it leads to more problems than its worth. It was a good idea at the time but without it being updated it has just become a hindrance to most newcomers.

5. Slope

Slope New Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Charlotte,...
    Since we agree that the windows installer doesn't work, are there instructions anywhere how to install this without the installer?

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    1. Download the .zip file.
    2. Create a directory to hold the binaries and config files. Unzip the compressed file into this directory.
    3. Create one or more directories for the photos, music files, videos, and DVDs you want to publish. I recommend you keep the different types of files in different directories.
    4. I think pyTivo may be distributed without a config file. If so, copy the pytivo.conf.dist over to pytivo.conf. Either way, edit the pytivo.conf file with a flat text editor to enter the file and directory names and the MAK to match your system.
    5. Run the following:

Code:
    <Python Executable> pytivo.py
    from the directory containing pytivo.py. If the Python executable file is not in your path, then you will need to supply a fully qualified file name.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  8. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I have now updated the wiki with the latest instructions including windracer's pictorial instructions for the web interface setup.

The windows installer is now only mentioned to state that it is no longer recommended and outdated.

9. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Thanks!