pyTIVO "push" causes "jitter"

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by xberk, Jan 15, 2012.

1. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I noticed on both my Premieres, that a pyTIVO "push" creates a screen jitter. The jitter can be seen on the menu, live TV or playback. When the "push" is complete (blue light on the TIVO goes out) the jitter stops.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Running 20.2 using the branch from "wmcbrine"
    (which works great by the way) ..

2. bunjicat

bunjicat New Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I have not experienced this. but I have noticed transfer speeds quite a bit lower with the new update. Download barely keeps up with play.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Haven't noticed that either. Is it any video pushed that causes the problem or certain videos? If certain ones, what are the specs (mediainfo is a good tool for that) of the videos you are pushing that causes the problem?

4. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I've tried two diff video formats so far, mpg and mp4 .. both cause the jitter .. both are 720 x 480 ..

Not a huge problem. Just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing it.

5. JulienPDX77

JulienPDX77 New Member

Jan 13, 2012
    I have 14.92 and I have had this problem but only with 1080p vids. My thoughts are that they are HUGE and that unless I give it a long buffer (aka, wait for like 20-30 minutes after I push to start watching; AND not incessantly FF or RW; I dont notice it)

6. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I'm using a MOAC network so my Ethernet connection is very fast. If I wanted to start viewing, it would be almost instantly after the "push" begins. I'm "pushing" home video pieces (usually around 10 min each) from my PC to my TIVO using WMCBRINE pyTIVO. While the "push" is in progress (blue light lite on TIVO) there is a noticeable (but minor) jitter while viewing ANYTHING at all, menu, live TV or ANY playback. Once the "push" transfer is finished, the jitter stops. This happens on both my Premiere units running under 20.2. I'm "pushing" low res files, 720 x 480. Nothing huge. It's not a big deal. Just a little annoying.

7. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    xberk, so if you look at Network Diagnostics page what is it reporting as transfer speeds for the pushes? I noticed one comment that pushes are going through a lot faster now with 20.2 software so I wonder if perhaps the transfers are too fast and taking more CPU resources than before and hence causing this problem. I haven't really experimented too much with pushes with 20.2 software yet so I can't really comment much about it yet.

8. JulienPDX77

JulienPDX77 New Member

Jan 13, 2012
    xberk; what codec are you using? just curious

9. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Codec: Mp4's are done with Sony AVC codec .. mpg with MainConcept mpeg2.. I use Sony Vegas Pro ..

10. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I just did a 1 gig transfer (around 18 min of video) .. it went over in 4 1/2 min. at 29.5mps ... I saw the jitter ... I have no reference on the speed. Is that good? It would be good as an Internet download speed. My router is "G" type but should be doing up to 100mps LAN. The MOCA connection is essentially a LAN connection and those Netgear MOCA boxes should be able to do way more than 30mps.

I'll try a regular VIDEO on DEMAND download and see how that does? Haven't tired that since 20.2 for the jitter. My Internet line is Time Warner Cable doing 30mps

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    ~ 30 Mbps is actually fairly slow. mpeg2 transfers are still limited in upload speeds so if it was mpeg2 you were uploading then that is reasonable, but H.264 native transfers will upload much faster than that if network is optimal. Prior to 20.2 I was getting easily over 50 Mbps for H.264 uploads. I haven't benchmarked yet with 14.9 and/or 20.2 software (which is when dual cores where enabled and transfer speeds reportedly got faster).
    In any case I'm surprised you are seeing the screen jitter for transfers at ~ 30 Mbps as that shouldn't be overloading CPU.

12. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Just tried a regular Internet download (Video on Demand) .. it went across at 13.8mps .. NO JITTER ... couldn't see anything. The length was close to the same as before (17 min) but even at 13.8mps it transfered in 2 1/2 min .. must have been a more compressed file. Like H.264.

I would guess the coax cable run is about 150' from my PC to the TIVO .. I have the Netgear MOCA boxes on "scan" to find its frequency .. there's a few splitters along the way .. they are all 1gig splitters...maybe it's just crowded in there and the bandwidth is limited that way ..

13. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Just tried a transfer between my Premiere TIVOs .. 80mps. Same type of file .. mpeg2 ..

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Do you get screen jitter during MRV/MRS as well or is it only pyTivo pushes? Also is source PC for pyTivo pushes wireless or wired?

15. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    No jitter with MRV/MRS .. only pyTIVO "pushes" so far. Source is PC using MOCA COAX network which means wired Ethernet.