pytivo pulls on new software issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by newsposter, Jan 28, 2012.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    were the pulls always inserted into the myshow list in order of the date of the file? i'm pretty sure the answer is no but wanted to be sure

regardless, is there any way to change that? right now i'm having an issue with push not working (which i normally use) but pull does and now i have an old recording from a year ago thats on the bottom of the list and more to come

2. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I believe you can order the "Show List" alpha-numeric or by recording date. Just press "1" on your remote to reorder the list. I think this would work the same whether it was a "push" (using pyTIVO) or a "pull" .. I assume a "pull" is actually just a transfer initiated at the TIVO rather than a "push" initiated on the PC.

3. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i just was so used to the show i transferred 'now' being at the top of my list..disappointed it isnt now. it's how i kept track of shows and order to watch etc.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It's due to the broken metadata handling in 20.2. Normally the TiVo would go by the "time" field, which is part of the extended metadata. Now it's falling back to "CaptureDate" from the container metadata, which is the only time field still available without the extended metadata. I'm considering what to do about this in pyTivo.

Meanwhile, for you, the simplest fix would be to alter the timestamp on the file before transferring it, if you don't mind it being changed. In Linux or OS X, you can do that with the "touch" command.

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Have you tried reaching out to TiVodesign/TiVoMargret to see if they will supply you with any info on the Metadata changes? TiVo definitely seems to be more open these days so it might be worth a shot.

6. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    It's not a question of changes. It's simply broken; a bug. This is unambiguous, because you can examine the metadata coming from the TiVo, which hasn't changed. The clearest example is with a .TiVo file -- in the past, sending this back would restore all the metadata it contained, regardless of what was in either of the server's XML responses. Now... it doesn't.

7. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    how do you change the timestamp in win7?

im bummed i cant push, just got the system working after changing firewall settings

8. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Fix* is in my repo now.

* Really a workaround, but the upshot is that it gives the appearance of behaving exactly as it used to.

9. Mark.Tolman

Mark.Tolman New Member

Oct 12, 2006
    What timing! I was just about to edit video.py to figure out a solution. It would have been trial and error for me to find which field to set to "now" to implement a workaround, so thank you for saving me the time.

How quickly does TiVo normally respond to this sort of bug? Is this something we're going to have to live with for months, weeks, or days?

10. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    how strange, i've done nothing to my machine yet now i can push, i guess it was fixed remotely :)

11. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    My money's on "never". Otherwise, maybe "next quarter".

They don't respond quickly to any bugs, except real showstoppers. I'm pretty sure they won't see this as one of those.

12. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    This all assumes TiVo is even aware of the metadata issue let alone gives a damn about it.

That said, I don't keep up with this but how often does TiVo seem to roll out new software for the systems ?

Assuming they know about the metadata thing and give a damn which is wishful thinking, one would hope a fix would roll out in the next release of system sofware.

13. gamo62

gamo62 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Let them worry about finishing the HD menus, MRS and the potential for TiVo streaming...Then onto your metadata issue.

14. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    That's all fine and what not but it still comes down to do they know about the metadata stuff and do they give enough of a damn to fix it at some point.

15. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    It's not "our" metadata issue, it's everyone's. And to me, yes, it should be a priority.

16. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I feel the same way but I'm not one to argue, but again, it comes down to wether or not TiVo knows about it and wether or not they give a damn to try and publish a fix in the next software releae whenever that is.

Anyone know how often the seem to release new versions ?

17. TVCricket

TVCricket HDUI

Mar 7, 2010
    Had to bump this thread because I think that I'm having this issue too. I downloaded a File modifier and edited the CREATED ON DATE for all my show episodes. After doing this, I can get my transfers in the correct order, but it displays the episodes at the top of the Series Folder instead of at the bottom. Manually transferring the shows from newest to oldest now works.