pyTivo problem.. Help..

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ButchKy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. ButchKy

ButchKy Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Somerset, KY

Advertisements

I've got a pyTivo problem that I cannot find any help with. I've been using pytivo for years without any problems, then all of a sudden last week everything that I transfer to the Tivo the picture only shows up as a small picture in the middle of my screen. It doesn't matter what kind of file it is, it can be a dvd ripped file, torrent file, they all produce the same small picture. I can take the same file and put it on a flash drive and watch it perfectly when connected to the usb port on my Sony tv. Nothing has changed with the Tivo or my setup on the computer as far as I know. I spent about twelve hours on and off Sunday trying to figure it out. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Which of the three TiVos in your sig are affected? Are you talking about bars on all sides?

It sounds like what would happen if you were using an old (pre-Premiere) version of pyTivo with a Premiere, with the aspect ratio mode (Zoom button) set to Panel, sending it 16:9 video. The old version of pyTivo wouldn't recognize the Premiere as an HD unit, so it would treat it like a Series 2, letterboxing the video (and downscaling it, if applicable) to fit a 4:3 screen. Then the Premiere would add the side panels on playback to fit it to the 16:9 screen.

As to why you wouldn't have noticed it before now -- I'd have to assume that your aspect ratio mode was set to Zoom, and also that you somehow overlooked the low resolution of the picture. :)

3. ButchKy

ButchKy Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Somerset, KY
    It's the Premiere that is having the trouble, yes there is a small picture in the middle of the screen and bars on all sides. My aspect ratio is always set to panel, never to zoom. I'm not sure what version of pyTivo i'm using, but it has always worked with the premiere just fine.

4. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Then become sure -- get my latest version, and see if it doesn't work better. Anything before March 3, 2010 is no good for a Premiere, and will behave exactly as you've described. In the meantime, set your aspect ratio to Zoom already.

5. ButchKy

ButchKy Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Somerset, KY

Advertisements

I've tried your latest version along with many others and same problem. Why would I want to use zoom as my aspect ratio? If i'm watching something in SD I don't want the picture stretched out.

6. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    I really don't see how else the problem would arise, besides a pre-Premiere version of pyTivo, unless you're actually sending pre-letterboxed material and don't realize it. But if you want more help, you'll have to provide a log file, with debug enabled.

P.S. I'm assuming that when you say "Nothing has changed with the Tivo", you mean that you have not just updated to software version 20.2? I thought most of us had. Not that it should have that effect, either.

7. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Okay, this is a really stupid question, but have you tried power-cycling the TiVo box? Not a reboot, but actually killing power using the cord?

NB I never kill power unless I first tell a box to reboot (then pull the plug when I see the startup image), but that's just me. You probably don't need to be so anal about it.

8. ButchKy

ButchKy Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Somerset, KY
    Thanks for all your suggestions, I still don't know what the problem was. After spending many hours trying to figure it out I just decided to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install of everything. It was time for a fresh start anyway, whatever the problem was, it was fixed with a clean install. I'm not complaining, it was so worth doing it. It was driving me crazy not to be able to figure it out. Thanks again.