pyTivo - need help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by EdH, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1 of 11
    EdH

EdH Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Stamford,...
    Hi,

I'm having a problem getting pyTivo working on my new (Win 7) PC.

First off, is pyTivo still the best way to go, or is there something new I should know about?

Anyway, here's where I am.

I installed following the instructions here http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Windows_Install.

And included the steps to run as a service.

Now it sort of works BUT. On my Tivo (S2D2) I go to Now Playing/MyMovies and just get an empty screen (no content). Also, when I go to Showcases/MyMusic I get a long "Please wait" message and then an error message.

So it would seem pyTivo is working but not providing any content.

I double checked the pyTivo web configuration settings for MyMovies and MyMusic and they both point to valid directories that have the desired content.

So what am I missing?

Thanks,

Ed

2. Dec 9, 2011 #2 of 11
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The problem may be Win7 permissions and user access for the service. I suggest running it not as a service first to be sure you have configured pyTiVo correctly.

I also prefer installing pyTivo outside the Program Files folder system due to picky access control problems with modifying the pyTivo.conf file.

3. EdH

EdH Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Stamford,...
    Hi,

I'm still having the same problem. I tried running pyTivo from the command line instead of as a service (as suggested by dlfl) but still no joy. And also sugested by dlfl, I have installed outside of the program files folders.

Here's my pyTivo.conf file. I've omitted my mak for security reasons:
    [Server]
    port = 9032
    ffmpeg = C:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
    tivo_mak = xxxxxxxxx
    togo_path = C:\Users\Public\Videos

[MyMovies]
    type = video
    path = C:\Tivo_movies

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]

[MyMusic]
    type = music
    path = C:\Music

All the paths above are valid and correct.

And here's what I see in the command window when I run pyTive.py. I've had to type this so there may be some typos.:
    INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Announcing shares...
    INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Registering: MyMovies
    INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Scanning for TiVos...
    INRO:pyTivo:pyTivo is ready.

BTW, it looks like colon-p above results in a happy face

And that's it. Nothing else shows in the command window.

What could be wrong???

Any ideas will be gratefully appreciated.

4. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Add your user name and password pytivo needs that to work.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Only for push.

6. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Are you running it as an admin? I use their batch files to start and stop my services, but right click on it and run it as an administrator. The only problem I have with pyTivo is that the service doesn't work well with the sleep mode. Everytime I wake up from sleep mode, I have to restart the service.

The one thing I think I remember is that if you are running x64 Windows, you need to get the x64 java.

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    pyTivo doesn't use Java. Perhaps you're thinking of Streambaby?

Oh, unless you're using this version of pyTivo.

8. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    You're right, I was thinking of Streambaby.

9. EdH

EdH Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Stamford,...
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Run WHAT? as an admin. pyTivo is not an executable. It runs via python. Should python be run as an admin?

Not sure what you mean by x64 java. Do you mean javascript? Where do you get a 64 bit version? Is javascript even needed for pyTivo? I guess maybe for the web configuration; but I don't think it would be needed for actual usage via my Tivo.

Thanks,

10. EdH

EdH Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Stamford,...
    Hi All,

I'm still hoping for a solution to this.

Any ideas graciously invited.

11. TracySMiller

TracySMiller New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but what I did was go to Start>All Programs>pyTiVo, then right clicked on the "PyTivo - Start Program" and chose "Run as Administrator". I do the same thing with the "PyTivo - Stop Program". I use these so much I created shortcuts to both on my desktop, and whenever I need to start/stop pyTiVo I have easy access to either, and I always run them by right-clicking and using "Run as Administrator".

Also, make sure you're letting pyTiVo through your Windows Firewall, if you use that, and make sure you're doing the port forwarding on your router correctly.