pyTiVo, Metadata, and Metagenerator375

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by PSU_Sudzi, Apr 14, 2017.

1. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I've just installed pTiVo (Dan203's version, thanks for putting it together) and copied over a couple of movies to my Roamio. I was able to create my own metadata file at first from looking at the pyTiVo wiki and then saw Metagenerator (hat tip, lpwcomp) and tried that out. It got me all of the info much faster but lead me to a few questions:

1. MG3 does not pull in the programID from its sources as it reads in its notes they are only available from TiVo. The MG3 settings ask for the location of Python.exe and your TiVo user name and password to make an RPC call to TiVo to get the programID. I believe python is some kind of programming language but I assume I need some specific python program that already has code written to allow MG3 to talk to TiVo for this purpose? Has anyone used MG3 in this manner?

2. It's my understanding that once you have the programID in your *.txt file and you transfer your movie to the TiVo, it will use that info to provide a thumbnail, is that correct? Right now, the generic thumbnail it displays for any program I transfer is "Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo".

3. For some reason, the movies won't show up in my movies folder when transferred over to the Roamio. I've set both the vProgramGenre and vSeriesGenre to "Comedy" and "Movies" but the Category that is displayed reads "Separator" when you click through the list of shows or when you click on the Info button. From the pyTiVo wiki it reads that vSeriesGenre is not used but I thought to give it a try anyway to see if that would change the Category. Does anyone know the correct variable to set this value?

4. Lastly, does moving a file from my Roamio to PC delete it from the Roamio? Or does it just make a copy to the PC?

Thanks for any feedback you all can provide, I appreciate it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Here's the line for installing Python 2.7 for the regular version of pyTivo from the WIndows install instructions.

Windows Install - pyTivo - Wiki

1. Download & Install Python 2.7 for Windows using the installer-suggested defaults. http://www.python.org/download/

And yes, I've used the current version of Metagenerator to create metadata files for shows.

When you transfer a show in either direction, you are just making a copy of it.

Scott

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If MG3 is just asking for the path to the python.exe executable, I expect that MG3 includes a Python script/program that needs the Python interpreter (exe) to run.

Is there a python.exe within the 'pyTivo Desktop' install that is usable by MG3, so a separate Python install wouldn't be required?

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I haven't tried Dan's version yet so not sure if it's accessible. Dan or someone else that has installed it?

Scott

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No. This whole project started because I didn't want to have to install python just to run pyTivo. I use a 3rd party app called pyInstaller which wraps the python script and the python interpreter into a single exe file. When it runs it temporarily extracts the python interpreter into a hidden directory but it removes it as soon as the program stops.

I've offered to help dlfl convert this portion of MG3 using the same process so that you don't need python installed to make it work.

aaronwt, PSU_Sudzi and krkaufman like this.
  6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Trying to juggle too many things at once.

Yes, the module that gets programId from TiVo is written in Python, which requires an interpreter to execute. I originally installed Python to run pyTivo and am still using the version that requires it.

Most of the metadata you see in the HDUI , including genres and categories, is derived from the programID. There is a bug in the s/w such that the genres sent as part of the metadata don't get set when programId is missing.

It just copies it. Some of the transfer s/w (kmttg for example) can remove it from the TiVo if the user sets it up that way.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yes, but then it would only currently work on Windows and even after you fix that, wouldn't it require a different version for each platform?

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Is MG3 cross platform? I thought it was a Windows only app written with .net?

Yeah the way pyIntaller works is it has to be built on the system that you're trying to support, so it's kind of a PITA that way. Especially for Mac since you need a Mac to even do it.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Potentially. programId also overrides just about everything in the metadata (i.e. the TiVo will get it from the database instead of using what you give it).

Weird. I haven't heard of that... it should just be blank.

This is a bug on the TiVo -- the categories can't be set properly via metadata anymore. It's been that way for a long time now, sorry.

Just a copy.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    :oops: You're right.

11. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Thanks Scott!

12. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Yes, it MG3 only wanted a path to the python.exe, I didn't need to write any code. Now that the path is saved, MG3 can find the metadata including programID.

13. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    It looks like the programID MG3 found did set the category to Comedy for the movie, so its now in the movie folder. I guess its like lpwcomp wrote, the bug is that you need both the seriesID and programID for the category to copy over. Still a few oddities such as the thumbnail is generic when viewing the show in the list, but if you click on the show and explore it, you will see the thumbnail on that screen. Not quite sure why that happens. And even though you can explore the show, you can't explore the cast or crew. But I can live with all of this I guess.

14. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Thanks for all of your suggestions and help today, I appreciate it.

15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Coincidentally, I was toying with this all today, in my ignorance, with the ultimate determination that kmttg is a viable and easy solution (both in terms of set-up and use) to getting the metadata file with ProgramId info., if that is what one wants--and it can be run after-the-fact on a .tivo file, to do this single task. Note that the new, easy-to-set-up pyTiVo with interface program also will generate metadata with ProgramId info. as part of the download process, if set to generate the metadata file.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  16. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Just like the old pytivo.

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, I wasn't meaning to suggest that pyTivo hasn't had this as well (I just mentioned the new set-up regime given its ease-of-use, which I've migrated to for that reason).

18. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I guess you mean for shows copied from TiVo to PC? What I was trying to do all day was take an MP4 file and get some metadata for it so when copied to my TiVo it would look like any other movie/show. The new pyTiVo plus MG3 accomplished 95% of it so I'll take it.

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yes, MG3 is most useful for generating metadata files for things, ah.. , acquired by other means. It's also useful for replacing the TMS/Gracenote seriesIds & programIds with the Rovi ones in existing metadata files.

Mikeguy and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  20. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, I was going from TiVo to PC, with already-populated .tivo files. You might want to take a look at kmttg sometime, regardless--it was easy to install and not hard to use (although a bit complex-seeming), with many helpful options, including metadata generation.
    Thanks for that reminder--I've generally just forgone metadata for my extra-curricular files, but now you've provided me with another option. :)