pytivo, i am very confused

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by newsposter, Oct 16, 2011.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i tried following the step by step in a sticky in the forum but couldnt get it to work...i dont know if it even matters but i added a share _tivo_(my number) but then you were supposed to edit it but the edit button didnt show up at all

anyway, i installed python 26 27 and 32 in my attempt to get things working...when i kept trying to install pytivo it said you need 2.4 2.5 or 2.6 then i finally did get to the localhost 9032 config menu somehow

i do see the required and not required things in the config menu however i just dont understand if that web config is what the program is or is there something else?

from what others have told me i need to stream from pytivo to my premiere in order to not lose PQ when i have been converting from avi to mpg2 with my standalone program. I much prefer to upload to the tivo and have it reside on there though, if that is possible. and while i am familiar with other file format names, i really dont know what they mean, whats best etc etc

so if anyone wants to dumb it down a bit, id appreciate it

2. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    ok good news...after digging around some more, i realized i never added the path to each of the options on the config interface..i now can see MY VIDEOS on the now playing list

however, when i started streaming an avi, it doesnt look as good as on my laptop..is that because i'm blowing it up on a 57 inch CRT? or are there other settings i can do to ensure the file looks as good on the tivo as on my tiny laptop screen

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    What does pyTivo report as the string its sends to ffmpeg?

4. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    where would i find this? the web config?

i tried to get into pytivo.conf and it's locked and i cant get in it plus it says windows cant open the file

also does it make a difference if i pull with tivo thru my videos or under myvideos on the web interface i hit transfer this? i tried pushing from the interface and got the below statement but i cant find where in the interface to change server

No option 'tivo_username' in section: 'Server'

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\video.py", line 341, in Push
    m = mind.getMind()
    File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\mind.py", line 285, in getMind
    username = config.getTivoUsername()
    File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\config.py", line 62, in getTivoUsername
    return config.get('Server', 'tivo_username')
    File "C:\Python26\lib\ConfigParser.py", line 541, in get
    raise NoOptionError(option, section)
    NoOptionError: No option 'tivo_username' in section: 'Server'

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, from the pyTivo console output. (You may have to have debug enabled - I'm not sure.)

How is it "locked"? You should be able to read the file, no matter what.

How are you trying to open it? You need to use a text editor to open the file directly. The web configuration utility should work. None of which has anything to do with the console output, however.

Well, it can make a difference, but the issue is not central to the problem at hand.

Right here:

[​IMG]

It looks to me like your TiVo.com user ID is not set. If that's not set, then it's a fair bet your password is not set, either. Set them using a text editor or the web utility and then re-start pyTivo. This should stop the error above. While you are setting your username and password, also set Debug to True. When you select a video to transfer, if the file is transcoded, then pyTivo should report the parameters it sends to ffmpeg, like so:

Code:
    DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:transcoding to tivo model 648 using ffmpeg command:
    DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:/usr/bin/ffmpeg -i - -vcodec copy -b 9193k -maxrate 30000k -bufsize 4096k -ab 448k -ar 48000 -acodec copy -map 0.0 -map 0.1 -f vob -
    If it doesn't send the file to ffmpeg for transcoding, then the file is not transcoded, and it is exactly as it was on the server. In this case, pyTivo will report something like:

Code:
    DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, /usr/share/pyTivo/Unverified/Back to the Future Part III (Recorded Sat Oct 08, 2011, MAXHD).mp4

6. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    What are the specs of the file you're sending to the Tivo?

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes.

No. It will never look as good.* But the best thing you can do is to start with a higher-quality video.

pyTivo is not going to give you higher quality than the separate conversion and transfer steps you were doing before. (Well, it might, but then again, it might be worse; either way, the difference would be subtle.) And the "push" method will only improve the quality (very slightly -- mainly what it improves is transfer time) for MP4 files, and a small class of WMVs -- not AVIs. (Although, if for some perverse reason you have an AVI file with h264 video, then it might be remuxable instead of needing a full reencode. Again though, this does more to reduce transfer time than to increase PQ.)

* In particular, it will never look as sharp. However, you may be able to perceive more detail on the larger screen, which can be a good thing. But when you start with a video that's only standard definition, or lower, then the increased detail mainly consists of seeing the individual pixels, JPEG-like artifacts, etc.

8. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes, it is. The "problem at hand" was that he couldn't get Push to work (because he didn't set it up), but the point of the question about quality was to ask whether he should even bother trying to get Push working. And if his only reason for Push is to get better PQ, then no, he shouldn't, because it won't.

9. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i see nowhere in global server settings to set server/change password/userid

i now see i can use the configure pytivo selection in the menu and can get into that but dont even see in there where to change username

10. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    well i would like the option of pushing for sure....now that i can see how ez that is...transfer time is not a concern

does a larger or different type of file mean it's higher quality? i dont know how to tell what a better file is? i notice mkvs are much larger..is PQ better for them necessarily or no? i'd like to think a 1.8 gig file is better pq than 400mb ?

11. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Larger is often better, but not necessarily. MPEG-2 files tend to be much larger than MP4 for the same level of quality. Most modern codecs should be similar, though (MPEG-2 is old, but still common since it's used for TV and DVD).

12. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i'm going to have to play with file formats to see what is best

but i still have not figure out where to put in a name and password on pytivo

my next step then is to figure out how to create and transfer to specific folders but i'm guessing without the password etc setup, i cannot do that

13. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    lrhoror posted a screen print of the page where the userid and password are to be entered. Look above. tivo_username and tivo_passoword are shown.

To simplify the video file discussion just a bit, you will want h264 video in a mp4 or mkv file or rips from BluRay discs as your starting files for transfer for full HD quality. A utility called mediainfo can tell you specifics about the files and with that info, folks here can help you further with specific information.

14. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

under global server settings there is no userID or password at all..maybe thats my problem...i'm not home now but ill have to post a screenshot later.

sounds like mkv is the way to go ..thanks!

15. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006

How old is the pyTivo you downloaded? You downloaded the latest snapshot directly from the developer site right?

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    im not home but i remember i had one heck of a time installing and finding everything . i am pretty sure i downloaded python 26 27 and 32 at least and i'm pretty sure the pytivo i downloaded say you need 2.6...or maybe i have it all backwards, it was just a mess. i'm assuming the version would be in the console so when i get home ill post it and download as necessary

i do remember one page on the config that i entered in my media share number so at least i did that right

17. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Unfortunately pyTivo does NOT report a version number. So if it is in question then just download the latest snapshot and unzip and overwrite your pyTivo folder.

FYI, Python 2.7 works just fine. However 3.2 will not. Stay below versions 3.x.

18. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    could the fact that all 3 are installed be a bad thing and should i uninstall the other?

ill def use the link above tonight to install pytivo and i hope that works!

then i can learn how to make folders and all kinds of fun things :)

19. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I really have no idea but if you have no uses for the other versions then it couldn't hurt to just uninstall all but v2.7

....One of the only bad things about pyTivo is that there is too much old and misinformation still around including old packages. With the pyTivo wiki it really is easy and is a set it and forget it service (maintenance wise).

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    newsposter, I'm curious:
    I'm guessing you did not follow the Windows installation instructions in the pyTivo wiki -- or are you not running Windows?

The instructions may be found easily by just googling "pytivo wiki" and selecting the Windows Installation section. For example they plainly state to install Python ver. 2.7.

Just to be safe, you might want uninstall ALL versions of Python, reboot, then install 2.7.