Pytivo Desktop, Loading Show List constantly

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mtepper27, Jun 19, 2020.

1. mtepper27

mtepper27 Member

Jul 8, 2019

Advertisements

I have 3 TIVO Bolts. All 3 are recognized by PYTIVO, however only 2 of them load the show list. The third one sticks on Loading Show List. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Are you running the latest version of pyTivo? There was a small bug related to this I fixed a month or two ago.

If that's not it then I would try rebooting the TiVo. Sometimes they can get stuck.

3. mtepper27

mtepper27 Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Yes and thank you, it’s fixed. A simple restart did the trick.

4. Bertram Moshier

Bertram Moshier New Member

May 22, 2021
    Hello,

I am having the same issue. The "loading show list" appears and never goes away. I tried restarting my TiVo and it didn't help. As for using the latest version, I downloaded it today, May 22, 2021.

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

There are two parts to pyTivo the server that runs in the tray and the UI. The server part has to be running for the UI to work. In some cases the server will be blocked by the firewall the first time it's run. Try manually launching it again and see if Windows asks you for firewall permissions. If it does make sure you say yes.

If you're using a 3rd party firewall you'll need to open it up manually.

But just to be sure that's the issue try temporarily disabling the firewall completely and then launch the server, then the UI. If that works then you know it's the firewall. If not then it could be something else.

6. Bertram Moshier

May 22, 2021
    Thank you so very much. I was able to get it running using your suggestion on the firewall.

Follow up question: The main reason I'm looking at PyTiVo is because RCN wants to replace my TiVo box with a more up to date version. I got this one in 2016. Yet, I have - as an example - 100+ episodes of Naruto: Shippuden I just have yet to get around to them and they're not available on Hulu or Netflix (in English, Japanese yes, but not English).

Do you now of a way to convert them from whatever format they are into MP4? I thought the Wondershare Video Converter would do it, as it is one of the valud inputs (TiVo files), but when I tried it I couldn't get it to work.

Again thanks for the help in getting it to download.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Well VideoReDo TVSuite can do that. It'll even let you edit out the commercials first.

If you're looking for a free option Handbrake works pretty well.

8. Bertram Moshier

May 22, 2021
    RCN is coming Tuesday to replace the unit. Will PyTiVo let me view the files once the TiVo unit is no longer accessible?

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The default files you download using pyTivo are special .tivo files which are encrypted. You can play them in Windows Media Player if you have the proper codecs installed, but it's not the best player in existence.

If you want to strip the encryption and just get standard files that will play anywhere then check the "decrypt with tivolibre" option in the settings. That will produce .ts files which you can then play in VLC, or pretty much any player you choose. This is also the best option if you plan to recode them to MP4 using something like Handbrake because it can’t read .tivo files. (VideoReDo can read .tivo files though)

10. Bertram Moshier

May 22, 2021
    Hello,

I got it connected and downloading, but now I'm seeing this error:

Naruto: Shippuden - "The Angelic Herald of Death"
    From Master Bedroom

535.47 MB of 1.08 GB (6.04 Mb/s)48%

TS errors detected! 132 packets affected

NOTE: Before trying to fix this issue, I let it sit for a full hour. The numbers 535.47 MB of 1.08 GB were unchanged. The transfer just stopped from what I could tell.

Also what I don't understand is why the transfer is so slow. I have a Gb network and my system is a DUAL processor 128GB with SSD and RAID drives.

Second NOTE: I got the queue cleaned and restarted everything. I also set up other files to download. AGAIN I got TS errors . . .

Beachhead
    From Master Bedroom

1.74 GB of 3.45 GB (63.22 Mb/s)50%

TS errors detected! 165 packets affected

While it has yet to hang, I'm worried it might hang and . . .

Thank you for the help thus far, but still need some more. :) Please!

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The TS errors are to be expected. That's a problem on the TiVo side. It's more of a warning than an error.

There are options on the Download tab of settings that can help. You have to set the retry option then check the one that lowers the speed on subsequent tries. With enough retries and a low enough speed you can get anything error free, but it takes time. You said something about a lot of recordings and only a couple days to download them so you might just have to live with the errors.

One possible option… if all your recording are MPEG-2 you can change the download format to PS or Program Stream. These are not prone to these errors but they only work for MPEG-2 channels. If you download an MPEG-4 recording using that option you'll only get audio.

12. Bertram Moshier

May 22, 2021
    Thank you for your help!

Unfortunately, RCN changed out my old box - for one they said would be better. It is worse! For one PyTivo doesn't work. Can't find the box.

To name some other:

RCN called saying they had a wireless box (only main change per the sales woman). I asked her if there would still be:

1) Slow-mo
    2) Freeze frame with advance

I also asked: Other than WIFI / wireless what else is different.

She said there would be slow-mo, freeze frame with advance, and changes.

She was WRONG either because of a lack of education or fraud!!

Instead what I got was a box that is the pits! I'm not listing all the issues, just the top 3.

Number one: The new ToDo list doesn't make sense. It seems to only give one a list of OnePass series, EVEN IF THERE ARE NO EPISODE to record. An example is the CBS series Blue Blood. I have an OnePass entry to record on CBS only and only new episodes (twice (once at season and then again in type of recording (everything, new & return, new only).

Yet, in this example Blue Bloods shows up in the ToDo list.

How do I know what will record and when in this new format????

In the old format, I got a CHRONOLOGICAL list of episodes to record. This was easy to understand!!

Number Two: Guide movement: With the RCN TiVo streaming interface, I have to press the remote button 48 times per day (on say Cartoon Network). Using the old interface and the "tab key," going one day was one push!

Why is that important? Cartoon Network Toonami (Saturday 22:30 CDT to Sunday 02:00 CDT) has 7 different series each week, but they are NOT the same each and every week. YOU MUST LOOK UP the list for the week and insure it is recording.

With the current interface and it say being Monday, I would have to press the remote button (48*6)-3 or 285 times. If I was doing this on Sunday or Saturday, it would be worse!!!!!

Number Three: No Slow-Motion or Freeze Frame advance at all. I use both of these both being a Sneakerhead and to watch various sporting event! There is no way now to go back and slowly or frame by frame watch something interesting!

I don't know about you, but I like sports and I used these two buttons all the time.

NOTE: It would be possible to implement them on a streaming box by keeping say the last X minutes on the box (live or recorded). Either way, having a buffer (RAM or SSD) on the device where you can do slow-motion and freeze advance is possible.

Number Four: OK I said three, but number four: RCN2Go doesn't work. This is a program to allow you to access your box remotely and watch what you record from work, on the road, etc.

To RCN: I am considering buying my own TiVo box, but only if I can get an interface like the old one on the box. Your prices of $42/month for a 6 tuner makes buying a TiVo cost effective!

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you want the old interface you need to get either a Roamio or a Bolt. Maybe the Bolt Vox will let you roll back to the old UI. The new Edge will not.