PyTivo Desktop Audio Sync Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bob1000, Aug 15, 2019.

1. bob1000

bob1000 New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I have two lifetime 4 tuner Premieres in use. I'm looking forward to the release of the new Series 7. The Premieres are good for my purposes. I would like to see the next iteration.

My Concern. Videos I upload to a Premiere have an audio sync problem that gets worse the longer the video plays. They are uploaded with the newest version of PyTivo Desktop. Re-installs do not fix it.

How do I fix this?

I have an i5 based Dell micro PC with a Passmark of about 5600 in my basement as a 24/7 home server. It downloads MP4 videos using PlayOn Desktop quite well. They usually play on Roku using the PlayOn app. Sometimes I like to upload them to a Premiere. The upload works well. The audio does not work well. Is there a way to fix this?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Where are you seeing the sync issue? When playing in Windows Media Player? If so could just be a codec issue. Try VideoReDo or decrypt an play in VLC.

3. bob1000

bob1000 New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    As I wrote, the MP4 files do not play well on the Premiere after uploading them. There's an audio sync problem that gets worse the longer it plays on the Premiere. I am using PyTivo Desktop for the upload, newest version.

PyTivo Desktop is designed to do the upload easily. I have no interest in kludging together programs I know nothing about in an attempt to fix an audio sync issue. Is there a configuration issue on PyTivo Desktop? I'll try something new if I have clear instructions.

PlayOn Desktop with the Roku app works well but sometimes I want to send the video to Tivo.

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Oh I misunderstood. I thought you were having trouble with files downloaded from the Premiere to the PC.

One thing to watch out with MP4s is they can contain variable frame rate video. TiVo can not handle this so pyTivo has to try to adjust to a standard frame rate using ffmpeg, which may be what's causing the problem.

Open one of the MP4s in MediaInfo. Does it show as having a variable frame rate?

5. bob1000

bob1000 New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Maybe. It states maxsource fps 30.25, Minsourcefps 29.57. Is that it? Other parts of the description make it look ok. Another says 29.57.

Another part says constant frame rate at 29.97 (not 29.57 like above).

Edit: more details

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L3.1
    Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 55 min 21 s
    Bit rate : 3 200 kb/s
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.116
    Stream size : 1.20 GiB (94%)
    Writing library : x264 core 148 r2748 97eaef2
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=dia / subme=4 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=4 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=4 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=30 / keyint_min=3 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=0 / rc=cbr / mbtree=0 / bitrate=3200 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=3200 / vbv_bufsize=3200 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.41 / pb_ratio=2.00 / aq=1:1.00
    Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC LC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Duration : 55 min 22 s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 77.1 MiB (6%)
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Nothing about that file should be an issue. Have you tried turning on/off the TS transfer setting? That will toggle whether this file is simply remuxed and sent in the original H.264 or if it's recoded to MPEG-2. One or the other might produce a different result.

7. bob1000

bob1000 New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Thanks. It appears to work now after a 15 minutes test. I think it will continue to work as 15 minutes was more than enough time to see problems before.

For the record, as this appears to be a somewhat common problem and I could find no succinct solution before asking here ...

On the uploads tab, changed transport stream to off

on the TivoToGo tab, changed transfer format to program stream (I don't think I'm using this feature at this time)

----------------------------------------

Looking forward to tivo series 7 with 6 tuners. If I can xfer a lifetime service for a reasonable cost, it will pay for itself over time by only using one tivo dvr and the free cable card - I can send cable card 2 back. Afraid of the bolts - too many bad reviews to risk losing a perfectly good Premier on the annual trade in.

PlayOn Desktop / Roku does a nice job. The app has a commercial skip feature for recorded videos. My pfSense/pfBlockerNG/DNSBL router filters out a decent number of ads, not all. To the bad, it takes a reasonable amount of effort at whitelisting to block the ads without the adblock detector noticing. Re Playon, you need a good processor for quality downloads. I originally used a server with a J1900 processor and it had uncontrollable judder on all downloaded recordings. It worked flawlessly with a I5-4590T based Dell micro PC purchased as a cheap refurb, now a home server.

As I mentioned, sometimes it's better to upload the video to Tivo. Now I have both options.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019