PyTiVo Desktop / "0x47 every 188" / TS Sync Errors: Do You Use It?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ClearToLand, Jun 9, 2017.

Would Knowing the "# of Retries" Performed to Get a 'Glitch-Free' TS / 'Fast' Format Transfer Help?

1. NO - Keep it like it is now: ...(TS) (^46)

2. YES - Please add the "# of Retries": ...(TS) (^46_2)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jun 9, 2017 #1 of 12
    ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey

Advertisements

Besides IMMEDIATELY becoming the "Easiest-to-Install " application to move files between TiVos and PCs, and back, a recent update to @Dan203's PyTiVo Desktop added "0x47 every 188" TS Sync Error Checking:
    • Do you use it?
    • Do you know how invaluable it is to you? ;)
    • Did you happen to notice me CHANTING it at every opportunity the past few weeks? :rolleyes:
    As more and more stations switch to H.264, you will find, if you haven't already, that you can no longer use PS / 'Slow' Format Transfer for those shows; you *MUST* use TS / 'Fast' Format Transfer. And, TS / 'Fast' Format Transfer has the 'hidden ' feature of NOT announcing transfer errors that occurred TiVo-to-PC *UNTIL* you attempt to bring back that show from your offline storage, PC-to-TiVo, and the transfer fails. :eek:

While @Dan203's PyTiVo Desktop also implements "0x47 every 188" checking during its PC-to-TiVo transfers, other programs, like Streambaby for example, don't (at this time); so, Streambaby (I believe) would fail at the TS Sync Error. Up until *I* encountered the H.264 'problem', I've stuck with PS / 'Slow' Format Transfers, since ~66% of the TS / 'Fast' Format Transfers that I performed / archived back in February / March 2016 (when I initially installed kmttg and @wmcbrine's PyTiVo) *FAILED* to transfer back via @wmcbrine's PyTiVo back in the summer of 2016. :mad:

The purpose of this thread, and its accompanying poll, is to gauge the TCF Community interest in "0x47 every 188" TS Sync Error Checking. If you do use it, you have to set the "Maximum # of Retries" that you're willing to put your equipment (TiVo and PC) through:
    • Set it too low and you may never get a 'glitch-free' copy
    • Set it too high and you may have your equipment running for hours and hours
    I'm asking Dan to add the "# of Retries" his PyTiVo Desktop application performed to both the ongoing log (where the number will keep incrementing by 1 each time it fails), and the final filename (where you can easily see the 'effort ' involved to get a 'glitch-free' copy).

Instead of:
    The Shakiest Gun in the West (Recorded May 21, 2017, SUNHD-E) (TS) (^46)
    You'd see:
    The Shakiest Gun in the West (Recorded May 21, 2017, SUNHD-E) (TS) (^46_2)
    And, if/when it succeeded, you'd see:
    The Shakiest Gun in the West (Recorded May 21, 2017, SUNHD-E) (TS) (0_19)

It would be 2 or 3 more characters added to the filename, both in the log and in the final filename; an underscore plus a number, either "_9" or "_99". Dan feels that it would 'dirty up' the filename; what do YOU think?

Thanks for voting! :)

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I think that it would be beneficial to have this info. somewhere. Preference--I'm fine with it in the file name (it really doesn't add much "clutter," and would be an easily visible reference there)--but if Dan feels that this would be ill-advised, could see it be adding to the transfer log for the file.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Can't really vote as we are still MPEG2 so I've had no reason to change to TS transfers (and no issues with PS transfers).

Scott

4. Drano32

Drano32 Member

Jan 17, 2017
    The feature is invaluable to me since I want to archive shows without errors, and Comcast has changed many of my channels to H.264. But in my experience I can never get an error free transfer, even if I set the number of download tries to 50 or 100. Right now I have it set to 50, period, and then I just keep the resulting file with the lowest number of packet errors. So for me, seeing the total number of download tries is not going to add much. I'd just rather see the number of (lowest) errors at the end of the file name, and wouldn't need to see total number of download tries.

5. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey

Advertisements

You may want to try a different tack / approach:

When the "0x47 every 188" version of PyTiVo Desktop was initially released, I JUMPED on it, since I had this one H.264 movie that I wanted to save for summer viewing with my wife. I didn't even realize it was H.264 until the kmttg PS / 'Slow' Format Transfer resulted in a tiny, audio-only file. Thus, my selfish reason for pushing Dan to include the feature.

But, when I tried it with "Retries = 5", the best I could get was 3 errors, IIRC. I kept bumping the retries up by 5 until I got to 20 - still got errors. Then I read a post from a 'TCF Old-Timer' who stated that he FIRST places both his PC and his TiVo into as IDLE a condition as possible before beginning a batch of kmttg transfers. Well, the show was still on the LR Roamio Basic, which does all the recording and most of the viewing, so I copied it to the BR Roamio OTA, which is "LR Overflow" and only records the evening news on the one PBS station I can get on a pair of rabbit ears.

19 tries and finally 0 errors! :D

STILL a PITA compared to PS / 'Slow' Format Transfers (which just seem to work regardless of how busy the PC or TiVo unit are) but it appears that the 'TCF Old-Timer' had a valid point - give it a try for one show and see what happens.

BTW, *IF* you do get a 'glitch-free' copy by first placing both your PC and TiVo unit into an IDLE condition (I put my Roamio OTA into Standby), you won't know how my retries it took unless you count the rows in the log file. :rolleyes: ;)

6. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    You want the author of a free program to change the program so you don't have to count rows?

It's up to Dan, JMO but I don't think the request is worth more then 15 minutes of Dan's time

jgrub likes this.
  7. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Are you a programmer? (i.e. do you understand the logic involved in adding, and displaying, this counter?)

8. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    After my bad experience with TS / 'Fast' Format transfers in the summer of 2016, I've stuck with PS / 'Slow' Format transfers, knowing that I'll have a show to watch when I'm ready (maybe the closed captions will be trashed but if that's the price I have to pay...).

It wasn't until "Shakiest..." appeared one day from a WishList and the PS transfer failed that I had the need for TS.

I didn't think that I would have to raise retries to 20 (never mind the 50-100 @Drano32 chose :eek: ). Better to buy a copy of VideoRedo if the majority of your shows are now in H.264 rather than beat on your equipment so much. But, for once in a while usage...

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    VideoRedo is a great program. I've owned a copy since 2005 for editing out commercials from shows.

Scott

10. Drano32

Drano32 Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I'm on a Mac. So VideoRedo isn't a possibility for me. Also, how are the multiple downloads "beating on your own equipment"? It is just transferring zeros and ones within your own in-home network, just like any other data. Are you referring to wear on the hard drive read/write head from each successive file being saved (and kept if it has fewer errors)?

Also, I've tried your idea of placing my Tivos in standby mode, or minimizing activity while transferring the H.264 files. No luck using that approach for me. If anything, I'm getting more errors while the units are in standby. But thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've had the same experience with some shows. No matter how many times I transfer them I never get a clean copy.

Adding this feature isn't a big deal, the counter is already there, it's just one line of code. I just didn't want to make the file names to obscure. The only reason I added the packet count is because I wanted there to be an obvious indication of when a file contains errors. I'm not sure how useful the retry count is, other then for curiosities sake. Maybe I'll make it an option.

ClearToLand likes this.
  12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I threw this into the update I just posted. I didn't have time to make it an option, so for now it's automatically appended like the OP suggested.

ClearToLand likes this.