PVR suggestions? Virgin+ thoughts?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by DogmaLoki, Feb 4, 2009.

1. DogmaLoki

DogmaLoki New Member

May 1, 2004
    I have been an ardent Tivo supporter, but since the loss of suggestions I must admit the appeal has dropped. I'm also hating the fact that I don't know how much space I have (I used to use suggestions as buffer/gauge of cree space) and don't enjoy panic watching TV. Add to this I'm moving, so maybe it's a time to call it a day with Tivo.

I know we're all Tivo fans here, so don't shoot me!

But as Tivo fans you're also discerning... has anyone found a PVR that is up to scratch in terms of quality compared to Tivo?

Of course in moving I can't use my parents MultiRoom account, so may end up getting Sky+ or Virgin+ anyway. Sky+ does not impress me at all... not seen Virgin's service so I would also appreciate any feedback on how good that is too.

Thanks.

2. davisa

davisa New Member

Feb 19, 2002
    I bought a topfield 5800 PVR with a view to replacing TiVo.

+ picture quality excellent
    + guide listings superior to TiVo (using Radio Times feed). Standard guide rubbish.
    + programme storage options excellent (auto move to folder etc)
    + good selection of hacks, but many essential.

- build quality of TiVo better
    - TiVo far better GUI
    - no suggestions.
    - season passes not as good as TiVo, but usable.
    - heavy hacking required to make product usable.
    - additional hardware (slug) required to network and get proper guide data
    - freeview only

Virgin+ GUI unusable and non hackable.
    Sky+ only works with Sky. No dish allowed.

3. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
  4. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Its buried deep in the thread though - it would be better to remove the "suggestions are no more" announcement from the first post, which is what many people are stopping at.

I have PM'd him.

5. RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff
    Have had V+ for 18 months now and relegated Tivo to back room.

V+ is HD (sometimes)
    Upscales (Mode 0 did a good job on Tivo)
    3 tuners

So V+ is main PVR in this household.

But Tivo is better in most other departments.

biggest issue with V+ is that the so called clever soft padding isnt.

set it to record everything 2 min early and 5 min late and its supposed to drop this padding if it would prevent something else from recording - but it doesnt.

Had cause to spend some quality time with the Tivo the other day when suggestions came back and really enjoyed the interface - something i never say about v+.

So V+ has too much going for t not to use - but not as polished as Tivo.

6. DogmaLoki

DogmaLoki New Member

May 1, 2004
    Thanks for the replies.

Suggestions. Back!!!

I took the official Tivo comments to mean they were never coming back, and were just a step to the eventual death of Tivo UK. And I don't mean that with malice, I think they've done a good job maintaining the service so long as it is.

But to have it back... wow that changes everything for now. My Tivo seems suddenly cared for again.

My moving still causes me to think through these things (so still further thoughts on this topic are welcome), but for now I'll be in sweet suggestions bliss. And when I continue my habitual thumbs up and thumbs down, I won't feel like I'm talking to myself anymore. Joy!