Putting Tivo in Standby

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by drummonds, Jul 23, 2007.

1. drummonds

drummonds New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Hi, all,

I just upgraded to a Series3 and am a bit perplexed about how Tivo has made putting the box into standby even more difficult than before. It's always been tougher than an "off" button on most electronics but having to go through the "Messages and Setup" is quite cumbersome.

I understand that there is no practical difference between on and standby in terms of power. But in my home A/V system I always leave my amp on. So, I want to put my Tivo in a state where I know it will not produce any sound. If I leave it playing live content the 30 minue queue will eventually full and it will start playing. If I leave it in any menu it will eventually exit out to live TV.

Can anyone offer the simplest button sequence to guarantee that my Tivo doesn't make any noise?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    How about switching your amp to an unused input? Do you also leave your TV on?

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The 1 button solution - mute the A/V receiver.

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Leaving a power amplifier on with nothing playing on it is a nice fast way to kill the amp.

5. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Why would that be?

6. drummonds

drummonds New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Arcady,

I'd like very much to know the basis for your claim. I can think of a couple of reasons for leaving an amp on (amps are designed for optimal sound reproduction at their warm temperature; solid state devices use very little power when not being used) and one reason for turning it off (power supplies are very wasteful) but nothing in my education (electrical engineering) or experience (15 years of leaving amps on) leads me to believe the amp would die for being left on.

But, I learn new things every day. So, feel free to set me straight.

Scott

7. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I had four identical amps in a theatrical/industrial application. I left two on all the time and turned two off each night. (Bizarre situation that takes too long to explain here.) The ones that were left on died in two years. The ones that were turned off each night lasted about 10+ years.

I don't see how you can have a degree in electrical engineering and not understand how leaving something on continuously would shorten its life span.

Besides all that, what reason is there to waste power by leaving an unused appliance on all the time?

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I can't sum it up any better, a Tivo in standby or running, same power consumption, amplifier off vs amplifier on, big difference in power consumption.

Diane

9. drummonds

drummonds New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Well, I'm not going to bother to explain the theory here. But suffice it to say that solid state electronics have their highest rate of failure before sale (due to burn-in tests) and at EOL (many, many hours later). Nonetheless, your practical experience in the area is reason enough to turn the thing off. Either way, the argument about saving power due to wastefulness of power supplies is spot-on.

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    FWIW I will agree that the failure rate of components is upon power on shock, it's a balancing act to number of power cycles vs running long and generating heat.

Diane