Putting the drive to sleep...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by solsurfer, Aug 15, 2007.

1. solsurfer

solsurfer Member

Mar 17, 2003
    LA, CA

Advertisements

Is there any way (besides unplugging) to keep the drive from spinning at night? I want the machine to essentially hibernate at night since it's in the bedroom and I don't like the noise.

Thanks!

2. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Yes, hitting it HARD with a VERY large hammer will usually stop the drive in its tracks.

Other than that, if it is plugged in it is always doing its job, even in standby.

3. rock_doctor

rock_doctor resU deretsigeR

Oct 22, 2000
    There is no way to stop the spinning drive short of unplugging them. If the unit is to loud then shop around for a high flow but silent fan. The coolant fan makes up most of the noise of the unit. Personally, i don't mind a loud unit but others may be able to suggest a quiet replacement. If you are able you may consider using an ir remote transmitter (used to transmit the remote data to another room) and put the tivos into the closet. It is a lot of wiring to run but if you are on the first floor would not be too hard...

mark

4. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    To cut down on the noise put the unit in standby at night. This will stop buffering live tv and cut down on the disk writes.