Putting an image on a new drive..

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by The Bad Guy, Feb 6, 2006.

1. The Bad Guy

The Bad Guy New Member

May 28, 2003

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My refurb'd Tivo shipped today and I was going to get an upgraded HD depending on if I get a 40-hour or 80.

What is the biggest harddrive I can get for a Tivo?

Also, I have an image from my old Hughes on a disc, however, I have no idea how to apply the image. I'm not familiar with Linux at all.

Can anyone refer me to a someone that can put the image on a harddrive for me?

I can't get ahold of the gentleman who did the last image for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    If your wallet can stand it, I understand you can go up to two 500Gb drives!

Go to TiVo Upgrade forum and look at the stickies at the top. You'll find all the info for MFSTools and others that will make the job of imaging a hard drive relatively easy.

3. kschauwe

kschauwe Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Bowling...
    You need ver 6.x software first, if you want to go over a 120Gb HD.

4. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Use http://www.salescircular.com/ to find some local good deals on hard drives; just make sure the word SATA or SERIAL or EXTERNAL are not part of the description - you want an INTERNAL drive that is EIDE (PARALLEL) aka ATA interface.

Oh, and for recording hours on a DTivo: Drive size * 0.875 gives you rough estimate of recording hours, e.g. 120GB = 105 hours, 160GB = 140 hours.

A single-drive solution will mean your box will run cooler and you will not have to buy any additional hardware (e.g. a special dual-drive bracket and dual-drive cable).

If you decide to image your own drive, see my posting of the command string that I used. For free, you can find a virgin V6.2 iamge via the internet using eMule.

If you want some certainty of a known good image with real good step-by-step instructions then go the InstantCake route. Costwise, it's same (or less money) to buy the InstantCake image, download it to your computer and then burn a CD than to pay someone to do it for you + the shipping costs.

Yes, you can by pre-imaged drives but why spend all the extra money? Example: $349 for a pre-imaged 250GB drive -vs- $99 for 250GB drive at a local store (after rebate) + $20 InstantCake image (with foolproof instructions).