put hdvr2 image on dvr80?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by PxT, Jan 12, 2006.

1. PxT

PxT New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Sacto, CA
    Maybe a stupid question, but I can't find a definite answer anywhere. Can I put an HDVR2 image onto a DVR80? Both are Hughes, obviously, so I'm thinking yes. I already have a hacked hdvr2 image so it would save me some time to just blast it onto the dvr80. Thanks for any info.

2. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Yes. They're both series 2 DTivos. You'll have to do a Clear & Delete Everything after restoring the image to get rid of the Error #51 message.

3. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    So are you saying they are interchangable because they are both Series 2?

I would assume that you cannot restore a RCA DVR40 image to a HDVR2. Likewise, I would assume that you cannot reatore the DVR80 image to the HDVR2 if they have the original drives in them. Correct?

4. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    you can use any series 2 6.2 image on any series 2 dtivo that will run it provided it will fit.

5. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    All series 2 DirecTivos, except the HR10-250 and the R10, all use the same software beyond version 3.1.1c. Once upon a time there was a difference between the RID and non-RID DTivo OSes but eventually they both started using the same software. As long as you are using an OS version later than 3.1.1c they are completely interchangeable. If you're using 6.2 then there's no problem whatsoever.

The only caveat is that the size of the drive the image is being restored to must be the same size or larger than the drive the image was taken from. In your case, you could easily restore a DVR40 image to an HDVR2 since they both came with 40GB drives. You cannot restore a DVR80 image to an HDVR2 because the original image was taken from an 80GB drive and you'd be trying to restore it to a 40GB drive so the image won't fit. All of this is assuming you have the stock drives installed, of course.

6. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh. :cool:

I thought from the images were brand specific as well as the whole drive size issue. You know one day I might be a Tivo guru like you guys. ;)

Good info.

7. PxT

PxT New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Sacto, CA
    Agreed, thanks for the info everyone!