Put an External inside?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by John Tighe, Feb 3, 2012.

1. John Tighe

John Tighe New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Once an external drive is formatted by the Tivo, can it be placed inside the Tivo?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Why? At that point, just upgrade the drive yourself and have a backup and save a little $$.

Some older units would hold two bare drives, but I would not think an external case would fit. Also, the potential for overheating the add on drive and internal drive would be risky (IMHO).

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You may be unaware of the fact that a non-DirectTV TiVo uses both drives when you have an external. It doesn't replace the internal drive. In addition to the space and heat problems that jtroo pointed out, I doubt that the TiVo's internal power supply could handle the additional load. If you really want to replace your internal drive, you should buy a bare drive and use a computer and the available free tools to copy your existing drive to the new drive.

It occurred to me that you might be talking about a DirecTV TiVo and replacing the internal drive with a formatted external. In that case , the answer would be - possibly. Not sure anyone has ever tried that.

4. John Tighe

John Tighe New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I don't have a PC with which to reformat a disc, and wondered if the formatted disc could replace the smaller, internal drive. I also would like to know if I used a PATA to SATA adapter, could I use the external SATA port to format a drive for a Series 1 or 2 Tivo?

5. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Definitely not, if is non-DirecTV TiVo. Probably not, even if it is.

No. You need a general purpose computer for that.

6. John Tighe

John Tighe New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sorry for not making that clear. I wanted to know if anyone had been able to use the external SATA port from a Tivo HD to format a drive intended for use internally. I hoped to be able to format a drive this way instead of using a PC which I don't have.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You have a TCD652160? Correct?

You are not currently using an external drive with it?

You wish to replace the internal drive with a larger internal drive?

Do you need to save the recordings on the current internal drive?

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    No. It cannot be done. Preparing a drive to replace an internal TiVo drive involves more than just formatting. The TiVo model specific s/w has to be installed.