Pushing Daisies question (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scottjf8, Nov 29, 2007.

1. scottjf8

scottjf8 That A-hole

Nov 11, 2001
    McKinney, TX

Advertisements

I'm just catching up now, but I must have missed something.

A few weeks ago, Olive kissed Ned. How can she touch him, but Chuck can't?

2. stalemate

stalemate McGruber

Aug 21, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Olive has never been dead.

When Ned touches something dead it comes back to life. When he touches it again it dies permanently.

Chuck had died, Ned touched her and brought her back to life. If he ever touches her again she is dead permanently. Same deal with Ned's dog. That's why he pets it with that wooden hand thing.

3. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Because if Ned touches a dead person or animal, it will come back to life. If he touches it again, it will die again (permanently).

Since Chuck died and Ned brought her back to life, he doesn't touch her so that she doesn't die again.

4. stalemate

stalemate McGruber

Aug 21, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Plants too. That's why he can't eat his own pies!

5. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

They really should have limited his power of reanimation to animals -- and reasonably intact ones, at that.

No plants. No animal flesh that's been processed and cooked for food (like chicken wings or steaks).

It would have made things a lot simpler for those among us who have trouble suspending our disbelief. :D

6. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    Why can't it just be "reasonably intact" things and that be enough? What's the difference between animals and plants in that respect?

7. PajamaFeet

PajamaFeet This Is Delicious

Mar 25, 2004
    in front of...
    Yeah, the bearskin rug comment in one ep got me to thinking about leather jackets, belts, shoes, maybe car seats. I never even considered meat until reading this thread. Can Ned eat sushi? Yuck.

8. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Can he eat anything? Without it coming back to life that is.

9. Royster

Royster Beardy

May 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    It's hard to tell. he *is* pretty thin.

10. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    He can eat or wear anything he wants. One quick touch that may bring it back to life, then a beat later another touch that puts it back the way he found it. Subsequent touches have no effect.

For all his other oddities, giving his slice of turkey a double tap before tasting it probably doesn't look to strange.

11. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    Or he could just, you know ... use a fork. :) I suppose the issue is how far into his throat it has to be before his power kicks in. Digestive fluids and all that. Basically entering super hero science discussion world.

12. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Because then he could eat something without us asking nitpicky questions! :D

Of course, he could always eat junk food -- that stuff's so processed it can't possibly come back to life. ;) Although a Busby Berkley conga line of dancing Chee-Tos (done in Claymation) would be fun to watch. :D

13. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Food doesn't touch your lips, teeth or tongue when you eat? It goes right from the fork to your throat? :)

As for "intact" things, is a strawberry an intact thing, or is the intact thing the strawberry plant?

14. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    if it turns back to dead in pie form, I doubt the strawberry is WHOLE in the pie either.

But it's probably only because he brought it back, but if it was a different pie, it wouldn't bring it back.

15. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    The "intact things" discussion was to what his powers should have been, to make the show more consistent. Not what his powers are. His powers do recussitate, and then re-kill, non-intact strawberries.

But I don't think he ever would have became "the pie maker," had he not been able to recussitate fruit. That's how he keeps costs down and beats his competition. Also, his powers seem to mean the recussitated thing is not only alive, but never ages (see, Digby). So, the pies stay fresh until eaten and digested, and he can keep them on hand until he sells them (though, one would think Olive would notice this).

It's a shame he can't touch Chuck. Especially if she never ages, either. :)

16. ZooCaretaker

ZooCaretaker Lock up the lions

May 22, 2007
    MA
    That's assuming he originally made the pie with all dead ingredients. If the ingredients weren't originally dead, then his touching them would have no effect... so the pie would have an ordinary shelf life.

But... what's the definition of a previously dead ingredient - one could argue that once a fruit is picked, it's life has already started it's demise, so Ned's touch would bring it back to it's most pristine state.

17. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    FWIW, this show is doing an excellent job of reminding me how critical human touch is. I get SO frustrated that Ned can't touch Chuck and more than once I've wondered if the relationship is even worth progressing since they'll never be able to touch.

And I'm not talking about sex, specifically, but just simple interaction. Holding hands, hugging, all those things are really hitting me as critical in relationships.

This show has me hugging my wife more.

18. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    But why would his own pie taste THAT bad to him? Is he just a really picky pie snob or is he for some reason using rotten fruit in his pies when he could just use normal fruit? Is the fruit, in the world of pushing daisies, only "dead" or more accurately "reanimateable" well past when it is inedible?

Surely he does not have a supply line to supremely rotten fruit. That is such a specialization, I can't imagine it would be worth what little cost savings it would yield.

Perhaps he simply buys fruit in huge bulk quantities and keeps it around as long as needed, even if it's rotten. Thus, it would be a crapshoot if he ate his own pies without knowing when they were made. Might be pretty good still, might be super rotten.

It would be interesting if they addressed the question of what would happen if he touched someone/thing and kept touching it. If it stayed in the state as if he had touched it and let go, then all pies he doesn't make himself using fruit touchy methods should taste ludicrously good to him.

19. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I think that's exactly what he does.
    From the most recent episode:
    In the last episode, the health inspector finds a room filled with rotted fruit

He uses only reanimated fruit, because once he reanimates it, it lasts forever. So, none of his pies spoil. Which allows him to use even less fruit because, unlike a normal bakery, he never has to throw anything away at the end of the day if it didn't sell.

By "kept touching," you mean "kept his hands (or other body parts) on and never loses contact"? I was wondering that myself.

20. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    Chuck made a pie with a once-moldy-strawberry for her aunts, right? But it wasn't moldy when she made it so does Ned pre-touch all the fruit each morning?