Push programs from TiVo to PC?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by hutchca, Sep 12, 2007.

1. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Is there a 3rd party app or plugin for TiVo Desktop that allows you to push recordings to the PC from the TiVo remote?

I remember JavaHMO used to do that and I assume Galleon does.
    I know development just recently resumed on Galleon but it's till in Alpha and I'm not really interested in all the other Galleon apps.

Are there any other apps that do this? Preferably a TiVo Dektop plugin?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No way to push recordings via an on TiVo UI like Galleon, but TiVo Desktop does have a Season Pass like feature which will automatically download all episodes of a specific program.

There is no way to write a plug-in for TiVo Desktop that would allow a true push interface. As TiVo desktop does not facilitate that ability. The only way to do it is via complete 3rd party solutions like Galleon, or for TiVo to add the ability to TD their selves.

Dan

3. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Well, it wouldn't need to be a true push.
    Galleon does it with an HME app that triggers a pull from it's own HMO server.

As I understand it, the program scans the now playing list via the HTTP interface and presents that list in an HME app you access from "Music, Photos and More".
    When you select a program to transfer, it just tells the app on the PC to download it.

I have a server with alot of storage running in my basement.
    I can get to TiVo Desktop on the server via RDP so I don't have to go down there but it'd be easier if I could just select shows to save from the TiVo remote.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I understand how the Galleon app works. My point was that TiVo Desktop does not currently have the ability to allow a 3rd party app to tell it to download something. So even if someone put together an HME front end to allow users to pick programs to transfer there would be no way to tell TiVo Desktop to download those programs. So that front end would also need an HTTPS server to downloading it's self, which basically puts it into the category of "why not just use Galleon?".

Dan