Purple/Pink Tint Occaisonally On Tivo Premiere - Why Does This Happen?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by WOODMO, Aug 28, 2010.

1. WOODMO

WOODMO New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    I just got a Tivo Premiere this week, hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI cables and about 3 times now I've turned on my TV to find a purple/pink tinted picture, be it on live TV or the menus.

The color returns to normal when I switch the resolution from 1080i (which is the setting it auto detected as the proper one) to something else and it remains fine when I automatically put it back on 1080i.

This even happened before I did the auto setting to make it 1080i, happening when it was defaulted out of the box at 720p, so I don't think 1080i is the problem on it's own.

It's just getting annoying and I'm wondering if this is a serious issue and how I can stop it from happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Loose/bad hdmi or component cable(s)?

3. jmill

jmill New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Get high quality cables

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Component yes. HDMI no. Component is analog and it will certainly cause color wackiness if it is a bad connection or cable. HDMI is digital, if there is a problem, it should not manifest itself as a color shift.

5. WOODMO

WOODMO New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the Tivo and I have no component cables hooked up, only HDMI.

6. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    My guess is it is not the cable then. Although it certain can't hurt to try another cable, especially since I can't think of anything else you can do other than trying another TV or move the cable to a different HDMI port on the TV. Since it only happens when you turn the TV on, I would tend to blame the TV... but there really isn't enough information to jump to any conclusions.

7. WOODMO

WOODMO New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    I suppose trying another HDMI port is an idea worth trying, I will do that. Trying another TV isn't an option since this is the only HDTV I have in my house.

I was hoping this dilemma wasn't as rare as it seemed to be when I searched it, I guess it really is though.

It's not a big deal really, since it's easy to fix, I was just more concerned about this being a serious hardware problem or something that will get worse over time.

8. Sep 9, 2010 #8 of 37
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    it's not all that specific to premiers.

happens on all HDMI devices when they lose 'sync'. Certain box + tv combinations dont play nicely. Forcing a resolution change (to/from 1080i) forces a resync and it fixes it. Sometimes there's a pattern that causes it- like turning the tv on before getting the tivo to wake from standby (can a premiere do that like older tivo boxes?). And if you avoid the 'wrong' pattern you wont have an issue.

Is it an older tv? Just curious. I had issues with my first HDTV with HDMI (actually it had DVI...) with the syncing (with HD Directivo's and S3 tivos). But the second only very very rarely shows it (with an S3). And the newest set that replaced the oldest never has done it (with an S3). have seen other posts about certain disc players and certain tv's doing it too.

9. Sep 9, 2010 #9 of 37
    wwu123

wwu123 Member

May 14, 2008
    I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more specifically, but I believe the pink/purple tint is caused when the digital signal is sent in the wrong color mode, RGB or YPrPb, due to incorrect handshaking, for the receiving display device. Doesn't really help solve the problem beyond what others have suggested, but that's what is going wrong with the digital signal and why it's not random tints being observed.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes. I can sometimes make that happen on purpose if I cycle through the RGB, 422, and 444 outputs from my video processor.

11. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    It happens also on my Westinghouse 42" LCD, when I switch between HDMI (only 1), and othe r2 DVI inputs. It's not related to the Tivo. Both the Tivo HD and Tivo S3 I've hooked up to this TV does this, and when I hook them up to another HDTV, it doesn't happen there.

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I have seen it happen on mine for 1 sec or less when the TV changes from one res to another.

13. fkenn1999

fkenn1999 New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    I just got a new premiere 2 days ago and hooked it up to my Olevia HD tv (several years old) via HDMI and I am getting the pink tint along with no sound.

If I use a component connection everything seems to be fine.

I called tivo support and they tried to tell me it was a comcast signal problem so I had the comcast guy out who replaced cables under the house which of course did not solve the problem even with an increased signal strength.

I am wondering if the problem is with the older TV or the tivo or both?

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    have you tried just switching inputs on the tv to get it to resync to the tivo when the pink comes up?

15. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I used to have to do that all the time on my TiVo HD (when the screen would go bonkers after changing res). But with the Premiere, I have never had to do it for some reason.

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    yep- newer things (tivos or tv's) seem to handle handshaking hiccups that much better so it happens less and less all the time.

17. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It was starting to drive me crazy on the HD. Not a day would go by that I didn't have it happen at least once.

On the Premiere, it has never done it, but I do see the "HDMI Connection not allowed" message pop up for a second every now and then, but it immediately fixes itself each time.

18. dgreene4001

dgreene4001 New Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Replaced a Tivo HD last week with a Premiere and occasionally get a Pink-tinted screen when turning on my Olevia 532H TV (Olevia... do I see a pattern here??). Spent some aggravating time on the phone with TiVo tech support on Saturday and they're going to send me a new Premiere this week to try. I doubt very much that this is going to fix the issue, as I do think it's an HDMI handshaking issue between the Premiere and the TV (note this never happened on my HD).

The way to fix it (for me, anyways) is to either power the TV off and on (doesn't always work), or like someone else suggested, cycle through the inputs on the TV. This seems to always to work (so far).

It's very frustrating when TiVo tech support claims that they have never heard of this issue, and you have to refer them to posts like this.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Hav eyou tried a different cable? Even though a cable works with one device it can still cause issues with another.

20. floydbob

floydbob New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Fort Worth,...
    This may not seem obvious, but if you have multiple HDMI inputs on your display try switching to HDMI 1. The display manufacturers sometimes put a little less effort into HDMI 2 and beyond. Seems crazy, but some of them apparently think that no one will ever use those additional inputs and they are not quite as compatable as the number 1 port.