Purchase Router For Comcast/Xfinity Cable That Plays Nice With TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by michael1248, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Feb 9, 2019 #1 of 29
    michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Looking to cut the cord shortly, but will first replace my rented Xfinity/Comcast router (Now..$13 a month!) with a my own Wi-Fi router. My TiVo will be hardwired to this router.

The one from Comcast has performed very well, but of course, I could have purchased many new ones for what I paid in "Rent" over the years.

I know there are lots of compatible routers that can be used with Comcast/Xfinity Cable, but I wanted to know if some "Play Nicer" with TiVo than others?

2. Feb 9, 2019 #2 of 29
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I've never heard of such a thing. Any router will work fine with Tivo. Maybe you're thinking of Moca compatibility? That doesn't apply to you since you're not using Moca.

cwerdna and jrtroo like this.
  3. Feb 9, 2019 #3 of 29
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm assuming you have a single device from Comcast providing your Internet connection, so what you have is a cable gateway, a combo modem & router, so you'll have the need to replace both functions in order to free yourself of Comcast's rental fee. You'll have the option of buying separate modem and router devices, or a one-for-one gateway replacement.

You'll want to refer to Comcast's list of supported devices, at least relative to the modem or gateway selection. If opting for a gateway product, one that supports built-in MoCA bridging (MoCA 2.0 spec) would be optimal for supporting TiVo's whole home setup -- *IF* you have such a need (and don't have Ethernet connectivity where required).

4. Feb 9, 2019 #4 of 29
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If you are going to hardwire/use Ethernet for all of your Tivos then almost any router with dual band AC rating would probably be good, but as already pointed out, you may also need to buy your own cable modem. If you think you will not have Ethernet available for all of your Tivos, i.e. DVR and minis, then you might consider using a Fios router which use MoCA LAN by default.
    The G1100 and the Arris NVG468MQ both have dual band AC ratings and also have native MoCA 2.0, which can be handy if you don't like/want clutter. None of this is important if you have Ethernet connections for all of your Tivos though.

5. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
  6. elorimer

elorimer Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If you are interested in tinkering, you might consider one of the Asus Broadcom routers, like the ac86U that are compatible with the AsusWRT Merlin firmware. There is an active community supporting expansions into adblocking, adaptive QOS, DNS over TLS, malware blocking, country blocking, Entware and more.

One area to be careful about if you have more than one Tivo is the handling of multicast. As has been pointed out on this board, some network devices don't play well.

7. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A1E6BA2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased this to improve my wired download speeds on RCN and it worked. 16-channel download DOCSIS 3.0. There were compatibility issues with the 32-channel DOCSIS 3.1 modems on some cable systems. I was going from a 1- or 2-channel cable modem to 16, so I thought that was sufficient. My building switched to Comcast and my wired download speeds have suffered. I haven't tried to replace the Comcast modem/router.

BGR.com mentioned

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=AQ3XZVBEMAHD94BMW959

as a budget router. For $39.99 it is cheap, just don't know if it fits your situation.

8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I have the exact same router. Works great.

I paid $20 for my last DOCSIS 3.0 modem at Monoprice. It was a TP-Link, only 8 channel. But I consistently get the max speed from my ISP anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

I'm a little gun shy about Moto. I've had maybe a dozen over the years, but not one has lasted more than 3 years or so. But the do work great before they croak.

9. stevepow

stevepow New Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Using a CM500V modem (this one does VOIP, but I think they have a similar CM500 without VOIP) and Nighthawk R8500 for the router which I can't recommend because of a long-standing QOS bug. I prefer to have them separate so I can optimize the router location. Comcast has a list of supported 3rd party devices, listed by match to your data rate plan, so it's best to go with one of those.

twalsh22 likes this.
  10. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    There's nothing to "play nice" with TiVo or not. TiVo is not a particularly demanding network client, especially when put into the context of even a modern single-person household with streaming devices, laptops, gaming consoles, chromecasts, etc, much less a big family with all that times multiple people.

Don't get a combo device, as you have to replace the entire thing when the technology moves forward, and if part of it breaks, the whole thing breaks. If you need digital voice, then you need an eMTA and your options are pretty limited. There is now a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA, but it's pricey, and the only other practical option at this point is the Netgear CM500v, which is a 16x8 eMTA, since the Arris TM822G is an 8x4.

Don't buy a 32x8 modem, as it's Puma 6. At this point, you should get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Depending on the tier, you don't really need DOCSIS 3.1, but it can only benefit you to have DOCSIS 3.1, even if you don't have gigabit internet. The Arris, Motorola, and Netgear modems are all excellent. I have a Motorola SB6141, which is an 8x4 modem that I've had for about 5 years, and I would absolutely not buy an 8x4 modem today, but it's enough for my 30mbps service from Cox since I refuse to pay those greedy bastards any more than I absolutely have to.

For a router, I'd buy something relatively inexpensive but decent that's AC1750 or AC1900. The higher tier AC routers never really got any better, as the client devices can't go any faster, and we are just on the verge of WiFi 6, so I wouldn't spend a fortune on a WiFi 5 router that's going to be obsolete next year anyway. The TP-Link Archer C7 is widely regarded as a value champion, but I personally don't really like working with them. The web interface sucks to put it mildly, I set two of the up for my parents as WiFi APs, as they were cheap and did the trick for them, but I wouldn't want to use one as a router. I haven't used Netgear in many years, so they may be really good now, but I like what ASUS is doing. I have an AC-68P, and it's a great router that I would still highly recommend, even though it's now several years old. The AC-68U/R/P and RT-AC1900 are all basically the same router with slight CPU and RAM variations that are important only if you want to use it for network storage with a USB drive, and have negligible impact on their wireless and routing performance. I expect the AC-68 series routers to be good for several more years, as it's going to be a long time before you have enough WiFi 6 devices to justify a WiFi 6 router unless you have a wireless mesh system. Wireless mesh systems are going to see huge benefits from WiFi 6 this year, as they can use WiFi 6 for their backhaul and then connect to many devices with WiFi 5 from various nodes all at once.

DigitalDawn and d_anders like this.
  11. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    How many DOCSIS 3.1 modems are there that aren’t 32x8?

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So I have the SB6120. A while ago, I was getting nag mails from Comcast saying I needed a faster modem.. I think MB7420 is the same one I noticed at Fry's a few weeks ago..

I'd pay $50ish for a new modem if it'd actually make a difference, though I don't pay for any extra speed. So I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if I should just stick with the 6120.

13. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The DOCSIS 3.1 modems are effectively 34x8 or something like that, but they aren't PUMA 6, which is the issue.

It depends on the tier and node congestion. Even on lower tiers, if there is congestion, the more channels you have, the better off you are. A 4x4 modem is very outdated at this point. The most you could possibly reliably get off of it is 60mbps, but even then it could be subject to congestion when it's competing against 16, 24, 32, and D3.1 modems.

14. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Even as a big geek, that's sort of over my head.

Basically -- I think you are saying it'd be worth paying $59 for a new cable modem? Specifically, the MB7420?

The thing that confuses me slightly is that both are DOCSIS 3.0. So obviously that standard isn't telling me everything I need to know.

I could afford way more, it just doesn't seem like paying e.g. $200 for another modem wouldn't give me a noticeable improvement, esp since I haven't noticed a problem with my existing modem. But if an under $60 upgrade (that would pay for itself with theoretical monthly rentals in under a year) would improve things, great.

15. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I wouldn't buy a 16x4 at this point when virtually all Comcast systems are 24x4 plus DOCSIS 3.1. A 4x4 modem is totally outdated, but if you're 60mbps or under, you should be able to keep it as long as you're not having congestion issues. If you need to upgrade speed tiers or you've got congestion issues, then I'd go with a D3.1 modem.

DOCSIS 3.0 is just the standard. It covers modems ranging from 4x4 to 32x8 as well as the DOCSIS 3.0 portion of DOCSIS 3.1 modems. Why they named 3.1 3.1 and not 4 is beyond me, as it's a bigger change than 2 to 3, which was just taking multiple DOCSIS 2 channels and bonding them together. DOCSIS 3.1 is a totally different modulation scheme with OFDM.

mschnebly likes this.
  16. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have my own Arris TM822G from 2014 and blast service from Comcast Hartford CT and I get 270mbps to 280mbps download & 12mbps upload, my contract said I should get only 250mbps download, the modem is also Emta. Would I get any better speed with another modem as this one is almost 5 years old.

17. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    My guess is your Blast service is 250/10 (same as I have here in Maryland). So, no, a new modem would not get you better speed.

18. mschnebly

mschnebly Active Member

Feb 21, 2011
    I picked up a Netgear CM1100 which is WAY overkill for what I need but it was only $119 at Costco so I had a weak moment and bought it.

19. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Technically, yes. Practically, not really. If you had a modem with more channels, you could consistently get very close to the full provisioned 302.5, versus the TM822G, which in my testing on the Branford plant, gets 230-290mbps depending on how much load is on the node.

If you want to drop a lot of coin, you could get the new D3.1 eMTA, otherwise, a separate D3 or D3.1 modem can be used with the TM822 acting as the eMTA.

Realistically, unless you do a lot of heavy downloading where the extra ~30-50mbps is going to make a big difference, I would hold off until Comcast does another round of speed upgrades, or until you have congestion issues.

EDIT: Clarity

20. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Then what are the cheapest 3.1 modems?

I don't "need" to upgrade tiers, but as I said, I had gotten emails.. ok here's one from April 2, 2018..

Update your modem today.
    [​IMG]
    We've noticed you have an older modem. It's time to update your equipment so that you can enjoy faster Internet speeds now available in your area.
    Update your modem today
    for faster Internet service.

So apparently I'm already "getting" faster speeds that my current modem isn't capable of.

I admit a while ago a co-worker was recycling some kind of modem that would have been an upgrade, I should have gotten that.. sigh.

I guess I'm SORT of falling into the thing I hate -- upgrade for "no good reason". But if e.g. my PS4 downloads will go noticably faster, even though I don't do that too often.. it would be worth $60. But not $200.

My tier is called "Performance Pro Tier".